Release date for V19 for Linux

Any idea when V19 will be available for Linux?

Thanks!

Comments

• I think they would liked to have it already realeased some
    weeks ago but it looks like there were some unexpected
    delays.
    As far as I understand there was some more effort behind to make
    Mac and Linux releases parallel to Windows release and some
    Distribution independency in the future.

If that is the case, I am not in such a hurry and hope they take their
    time and do what it needs.

• I'm pretty keen to know when V19 is being released also - & when subsequent releases are going to be released also & what frequency....
    About to make decision on CAE system for company....& we are running Mac, Linux & unfortunately, Windows too....

• I'd also like to know when the Linux version will be available. I keep checking the site for the Linux demo and it's still maxed out at 18.

Sending a request to sales for a release date was completely ignored.

• I think it is thought to release VERY soon.

And I am already totally excited myself too.

• V19 is apparently released. I just downloaded it.

However, it doesn't put an icon in the menu and the shell script fails:
    bill@bill ~$ /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/bricscad.sh
    /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

• error while loading shared libraries: libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0

Right, sorry about that, I will eliminate that dependency asap.

libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0 is excluded from recent distributions since it has security issues.
    Therefore we decided to publish BricsCAD(Linux) V19.2 without it.
    As a result, there will be no (html) Tips and no "What's new" browser inside the getstarted dialog.
    Unfortunately I lost track of this, and the load-time dependency is still in place.

For V20 we will use a newer version of webkitgtk, as part of an overall upgrade of wxWidgets.

• Tijs: Can you put a selection in the Linux menu system as well so folks don't have to do it manually?

• Michael Mayer
    edited May 2019

I am so happy !
    Great.
    Thanks Tijs.

I had a flawless install on Elementary OS* by "Eddy" App for PPA installations.
    (*based on Ubuntu LTS with Debian, Gnome)
    No error Messages. Nice intergrated in Start/Graphic Apps.
    It started fine and runs fluidly with a larger File so far.
    (Seems I need to activate MTThreads to accelerate file loading)

Nice that it works in Trial Mode.

It looks georgous in Elementary.
    Will try on Manjaro soon

BTW Linux Release notes,
    now with Thumbnails in Windows Explorer ;)

BTW BTW Linux Release notes,
    like in Mac Version, no RFA Import so far

• @Tijs Vermeulen said:

error while loading shared libraries: libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0

Right, sorry about that, I will eliminate that dependency asap.

libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0 is excluded from recent distributions since it has security issues.
    Therefore we decided to publish BricsCAD(Linux) V19.2 without it.
    As a result, there will be no (html) Tips and no "What's new" browser inside the getstarted dialog.
    Unfortunately I lost track of this, and the load-time dependency is still in place.

For V20 we will use a newer version of webkitgtk, as part of an overall upgrade of wxWidgets.

Hi Tijs Vermeulen,

I'm also having the same issue as RoatanBill. Is there a work around for this or do we need to wait for an update?

Thanks,
    Kieran

• Michael Mayer
    edited May 2019

Ohm,
    how to best install a Tarball ???
    (Manjaro)

I think there was once a description in Bricscad FAQ or so,
    but I don't find it again ...
    My Octopi refuses the *.tar.gz

• Normally you cd to the destination directory and while sitting in that directory issue:
    tar -xzvf /where/ever/the/tar/ball/is.tgz

Then typically look for an install script something.sh and run it.

• I grabbed all the libraries required for me to get v19 running on my debian sid install by downloading the debs from debian/ubuntu repositories and copying the libraries into the bricscad folder.

Download:
    https://www.uberpurple.com/bricscad-debian-sid-deps.tar.xz
    And then run:
    sudo tar -xvf bricscad-debian-sid-deps.tar.xz -C /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/
    Got it working for me.

I didn't do any curating, so probably a bunch of the included files are unneeded.

It's probably also a bad idea to download and run commands from some random guy on the internet....

• Michael Mayer
    edited May 2019

Thanks RoatanBill,

I am a Linux Noob,
    it seems to open from Admin Terminal by "./bricscad.sh"

Now I get the "libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0" warning too ....

• BTW,
    So far I have an "APP" Folder in my Home Directory where
    I install - or better extract - my proprietary Apps,
    Like Modo or Blender Beta.

Is "OPT" the official Folder under Linux, to throw such Apps in ?

• It would appear that the tar ball you have isn't an installation environment, but the actual execution environment from an install.
    The best place to put the executable environment would probably be: /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/

I'd nuke whatever it is you have and run the tar explosion again with /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/
    as the default directory you're sitting in when you run the tar explosion. The executable may be a shell script that has some set up for environment variables, etc and it may assume it is sitting in a particular place. Just try to cat the executable to see if it's human legible and you may see references to directories if it's a script. If it's not a script, you'll get gibberish.

i.e. mkdir -p /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/
    cd /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v19/
    tar blah blah blah

• How you seem to feel comfortable with written paths and terminal
    sounds a bit like you don't even installed a desktop environment.
    ;)

I have Arch based Manjaro with KDE.
    I can use Dolphin (Explorer) and Ark (Archiver) to navigate and extract archives.
    Octopi is the default Manjaro Packet Manager.
    It has an installation option for local Packages but obviously refuses a *.tar.gz
    as such. I don't even have a clue how Arch Packages do look like.

And I am not sure if Bricscad's Tarball is meant as an installation Package,
    or just an Archive to extract somewhere (like Modo).
    Modo also didn't run first on Manjaro. When starting from Terminal it showed
    a missing Library too. I went to my Package Manager and searched for that name
    and found something similar which I installed and Modo started fine then.

I think that is pretty similar for Bricscad now.
    I think I could start it simply by executing the "bricscad" from the extracted folder.
    But it also aborts and shows an error when trying to start "libcommands.so"
    But in this case, when I search for it my Packet Manager doesn't find anything similar.
    (No wonder if "libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0" is something legacy or risky taken out of current Distros)

But obviously Bricscad will not work, or better start, without it.
    My Packet Manager would offer :

• libwebp 1.0.2-1 (already installed...)
    • lib32-libwebp 1.0.2-1
    • libwebsockets 3.1.0-1
  • how difficult it is to get it work on Ubuntu19.04?
    I can't figure how to get Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu18.04 (indication of my IT skills!)
    and am hoping that getting BricsCAD to work on (my) Ubuntu19.04 install will be easier.

• @Marcin said:
    how difficult it is to get it work on Ubuntu19.04?
    I can't figure how to get Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu18.04 (indication of my IT skills!)
    and am hoping that getting BricsCAD to work on (my) Ubuntu19.04 install will be easier.

It was pretty easy on Ubuntu/Gnome based Elementary OS.
    But I think Elementary is still 18.04 (?)
    I don't expect much Problems though.
    I can't remember how I installed Nvidia drivers (forum search ?) at that time but
    I remember it was a bit cumbersome and it needed about half a year until everything
    worked fine with my RTX 2070, by latest Nvidia drivers (4.30 ?)

• @Michael Mayer
    I wrote software professionally for 40 years, the last 15 exclusively on Linux. Knowing your way around a command line is a benefit on any operating system.
    Do a 'man tar' to get all the options for the tar command. Entering the letter 'q' will quit that man(ual) page. The extension on the tar file like tgz, gz, etc indicates how it was created and therefore offers the information on how to explode it. The man page even offers examples as tar has lots of options.

@Marcin
    The Nvidia drivers on 18.04 didn't work for me, so I went to Nvidia's site and downloaded their version. That did work.
    Their install procedure is incredibly primitive and every new Linux kernel that gets installed during normal updates disables their driver. You have to reinstall the driver to get it to function once again. A nuisance, for sure, but after you've done it a few times it takes about a minute to complete so it's not the end of the world.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I think I could start it simply by executing the "bricscad" from the extracted folder.
    But it also aborts and shows an error when trying to start "libcommands.so"

The bricscad tarball is not an installer package, just un-tar it where you like. Don't start bricscad by running the bricscad executable though. Run instead the bricscad.sh shell script. It is a very simple 5 line script that looks like it hardcodes the location of the communicator files, sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH environment variables to look for files in the current directory before searching systemwide and then it runs the bricscad executable for you.

By setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to first look inside the bricscad directory, it will find the libcommands.so file that was included inside the bricscad tarball and you don't need to install the systemwide library.

Starting from the tarball should look something like:
    cd /location/you/extracted/bricscad
    ./bricscad.sh

• Wow, that needed quite some time until spelling was ok and everything
    went through Terminal.
    But it is quite the same result as what I can do by GUI Software :

[micha@CADVIZMANJARO v19]$ sudo ./bricscad.sh
    ./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [micha@CADVIZMANJARO v19]$ sudo ./bricscad
    ./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libcommands.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like either Bricscad finally gets its missing resources,
    (Just copying the Files from @necronian Link did not work - it will moan about other files then),
    or there is a way to stop Bricscad from moaning and make it just starting,
    with its restrictions as @Tijs Vermeulen mentioned.

• Michael Mayer
    edited May 2019

Thanks @necronian too !

OK, that is what I thought about Bricscad Tar too,
    just a zipped folder.
    And I think I had v18 running in the past, by starting the bricscad.sh
    But as my Terminal Output in the post above states,
    the SH from V19 will not work for me.

I stop my Manjaro attempts for now and go back to my Elementary installation,
    so I can finally play a bit v19 Linux.

• There's no 'fixing' the current release short of recompiling and reissuing the product.
    Any attempt to locate and supply the library, even if BricsCAD were to start, does not mean it's stable.
    Sit back and wait for a proper fix. Don't start installing new versions of an operating system thinking that might do the trick.
    Just wait.

• Ah, ok, thanks RoatanBill,

I didn't get that there will come a new download ....

• Tijs said - "Right, sorry about that, I will eliminate that dependency asap."

I assume he means to fix the 'make' file and recompile the whole shebang.

• @Marcin said:
    how difficult it is to get it work on Ubuntu19.04?

Hmmh,
    I tried MX Linux,
    basically Ubuntu with XFCE but with latest stable Kernel.
    (Currently 4.19.0-1-amd64)
    It will also miss the dependencies we have discussed.
    So I think you will get the same problems under Ubuntu 19.04.
    until the Installers are fixed.
    (18.04 should work)

• Tijs Vermeulen
    edited May 2019

I just published V19.2.10 without webkit dependency. I indeed adapted the build configuration and rebuilt BricsCAD entirely. It took a while to get it right, I encountered a few unexpected complications, so it goes.

The tar.gz download we offer is indeed not an installer, it holds the built binaries as is. The idea is to offer a fallback in case the deb and rpm fail to install.

• OK, I extracted the TAR to my local APP Folder in "Home" on Manjaro for now.
    Now I can start the "bricscad.sh" from terminal.

TL;DR;

Bricscad runs as fine on Manjaro as on Ubuntu Elementary - when it runs

TS;WR;

3 issues.
    It started Bricscad Welcome Screen and I have chosen "load other file".
    Bricscad Window opened blank. But the File Open Dialog will be strictly
    hidden behind Bricscad's empty Window.There was no bring the dialog
    to front. Only resizing my Bricscad Window finally allowed my to anyhow
    reach the dialog.

Bricscad will ONLY start by using "bricscad.sh" from Terminal, by sudo or
    Admin Terminal.
    It won't start from its Task Bar Icon, when attached, or by my Desktop Object (?)
    created for my start panel in any way.
    (I mean I am the owner of all files, the whole Folders and both bricscad
    files are allowed to execute)

When Bricscad started from bricscad.sh from Terminal and I use Bricscad,
    the Terminal still running collects more and more warnings like :

(bricscad:5191): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:54:25.891: IA__gtk_widget_get_pango_context: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(bricscad:5191): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:51:32.105: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(bricscad:5191): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 12:51:29.860: _gdk_pixmap_new: assertion '(width != 0) && (height != 0)' failed

(bricscad:5191): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 12:51:29.860: _gdk_pixmap_new: assertion '(width != 0) && (height != 0)' failed

(bricscad:5191): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:49:24.086: IA__gtk_rc_get_style: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

I have GTK 2, GTK 3, webkit2GTK installed.
    Do I miss anything other GTK-ish ?

• Anybody getting pdf to work in 19.2.10 (x64)?
    The pdf command just returns "Error loading module for PDF underlay support." on my ubuntu 16.04 box.