LCONNECT

In the attached dwg, why won't the blue elements on Layer Con-Solid25 LCONNECT together? OK it's an internal angle but, having SLICEd the roof element, the blue elements don't know that.

Comments

• Except imperfectly like attached, by selecting faces rather than solids to LCONNECT

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited April 2019

Hi Tom
    To L-connect such solids you must select faces, rather than solids indeed: select the faces that need to be connected.

• Tom Foster
    edited April 2019

What does 'such solids' mean? There's something different about these, no doubt, but I can't see it!, except for being at an internal angle, or being taller than wide. All the other elements in this model LCONNECTed easily just by selecting the solids.

And as per my second attachment above, I did try select faces, but they didn't connect properly - see 300F3dX.dwg,.

I shouldn't complain - this ability to straightforwardly connect multiple edges of complex solids, is what makes Brics unique amongst BIMs. I found it impossible to model my kind of buildings, such as this example, in Bentley AECOsim, which fussed about which was 'ends' vs 'tops/bottoms' of BIM solids and refused any kind of non-standard connection. BricsBIM arrived with this wonderfully approach different from all the other BIMs, and with v19 the guys finally made LCONNECT and TCONNECT work fully - except perhaps in this example!

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited April 2019

Hi Tom
    'Such solids': when selecting solids BricsCAD BIM tries to connect the 'minor' faces of the selected solids. A wall solid has two minor faces, and therefore two 'walls' connect automatically. Other solids do not have such 'minor' faces, and therefore you must select the faces that need to be connected, rather than the entire solid. Selecting faces is also useful when L-connecting two walls which are in a T-position if the wrong part of the crossing wall is kept in the 'select solids' procedure of LCONNECT;

• I thought that minor/major thing had been thankfully dumped in the v19 improvement of TCONNECT/LCONNECT. Or maybe Pieter and Hans were trying for that at pre-Beta stage but couldn't quite crack it. Current Help no longer mentions major vs minor.

If it's really still in play, what determines major/minor? Not I think 'ends are minor'.
    Surely it's not to do with BIM definition Wall vs Slab? This is supposed to be pure solids?
    Is it the narrowest face of the solid? Or the narrowest plus shortest? i.e. a tall short piece of wall would look like a column and its top/bottom wd be its minor faces?

Don't think this wd explain why in 300F3dZ.dwg attached, the LCONNECT is faulty, with little ears sticking up?

• @Louis Verdonck said:
    Hi Tom
    Selecting faces is also useful when L-connecting two walls which are in a T-position if the wrong part of the crossing wall is kept in the 'select solids' procedure of LCONNECT;

Isn't that the same as for connecting 2D Lines at intersections.
    Others evaluaten the position of the click when selecting,
    to which side or end it is closer. This will be the part that stays
    and the other side will be reduced.

• @Michael Mayer
    In BricsCAD BIM the larger part is kept by default, regardless of the selected part (you can also use window overlap selection to select the two wall solids).

• Yes, and much better now than it was before,
    when it refused connection when Walls extended their crossing.

Yes, Marquee Selection would make it difficult.
    That is more a pick Tool, pic first, pic second object approach.
    But I find such workflows quite simple and predictable in
    any situation.

• Does anyone at all know what is major, what is minor faces?

• I would say a Wall's Sides are major Faces,
    Wall start and end ar minor Faces and
    top and bottom are rest Faces ...

• Tom Foster
    edited April 2019

I doubt it's as simple as that. That's exactly the rigid concept of all the other BIMs, that AFAIK Brics has escaped from.

Yes that concept is how Brics linear solids are initially created, and continue to inform their left/right orientation, moveable base line etc - but otherwise ceases to influence matters. Once created, all faces of all solids are supposed to have equal status and Connect with ea other equally.

Except that in Brics I think there's still just some slight built-in preference e.g. narrowest edge, that helps make Connect results predictable in uncommon cases. Because anyway, half the solids that we use in BricsBIM are not created as linear solids, but marvellously can be Connected just the same, and then the major/minor thing, and need to select faces rather than solids, becomes particularly important.

Can anyone give definitive answer?

• I think Louis already answered that.

@Louis Verdonck said:
    Hi Tom
    'Such solids': when selecting solids BricsCAD BIM tries to connect the 'minor' faces of the selected solids. A wall solid has two minor faces, and therefore two 'walls' connect automatically. Other solids do not have such 'minor' faces, and therefore you must select the faces that need to be connected, rather than the entire solid.

Basically you need to select Faces.
    Walls are more comfortable as they already know what to do and
    what makes sense. Solid Selection is sufficient there.

What currently defines a Wall as a Wall in Bricscad ?
    No clue.
    A Wall-like Shape or Proportion,
    a Solid created by Polysolid,
    or a BIM Tag Wall ?

• In your first file example,
    I was even able to connect both upper blue bodies with
    a simple Solid Selection.
    (But I think that was not the intention)
    For connecting each blue top and bottom pairs, I would
    usually go with "Connect to nearest".
    Which again needs a Face Selection but for me works great.

Not really sure what is intended to connect in the second file.

• Hi Tom,
    We never intended to dump the major faces concept - when you select 2 random solids and ask us to lconnect them, we have to do something to find out how you would like them to be connected. The things that changed in V19 are

• if you don't like the choice we made you can override it by selecting faces to connect.
    • other assumptions about linear solids are moved out of the generic lconnect algorithm