copying a detail to another part of a solid model.

fatguy
edited May 2019 in 3D Modeling

I'm having far more trouble copying a detail within my model than I should be having. I have a part with 4 mounting slots, and above the 2 front slots, I have cut outs (in red). I'd like to copy these cutouts to the back slots, but am just at a loss as to how to do it efficiently. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Excellent. Would you tell us how you did it?

• My approach (left to right):

1. Add a temporary box (magenta).
    2. Create an in-place copy of the main body (white) and _Subtract that from the temp box.
    3. Move the result from step #2 to the correct location.
    4. _Subtract the temp solid from the main body.
  • @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    My approach (left to right):

1. Add a temporary box (magenta).
    2. Create an in-place copy of the main body (white) and _Subtract that from the temp box.
    3. Move the result from step #2 to the correct location.
    4. _Subtract the temp solid from the main body.

Thanks, Roy.
    This is embarrassing, but how is a temporary box created? Do you mean a 3d solid box?

• Success!, thanks Roy!

• However, I just ran into another problem. The model I posted had a lot of details that I erased before posting. When I went back and tried to do this to the original ( I can not post the full model due to proprietary design concerns) copied more than just the cutouts, but other details as well. I'm probably not being clear, but the temporary box had voids in it than should not be copied back to the main body) Is there an alternate method?

• Since you already have the simplified model you can perhaps use it for the first 3 steps and then perform the 4th on the actual model?

Making the temporary box much smaller so that it only overlaps a single slot may also work. You have to then apply a _Mirror operation between steps 3 and 4.

• That's a really good idea, thank you again. I just thought there must be an easy way to do it, because I can move the feature in 3 or 4 clicks, but can't "copy" it with the same ease.

• @fatguy

Could DMCOPYFACES be the command for doing this?

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited May 2019

@David Waight
    That is indeed the best solution. Thanks.
    ... But it is a tricky command. When trying to click the 2nd point the face the cursor hovers over causes the new faces to be realigned. Even if the DUCS is switched off.

• Is this the same command as the one found under 3D SOLID EDITING? I tried typing the command in and it says it doesn't recognize the command.

• When I use the "Model/3D Solid editing/Copy Faces" command, I select the 3 faces, pick my capy from and copy to points, this is the result. I can't seem to subtract the faces.

• @fatguy,

Not sure how you are selecting, but you have 2 regions and a surface (copy of cut out on the left), my copy (copy on the right) is just 1 surface.

You need to press Ctrl and select each of the 3 faces that make up the cutout; once copied it will automatically subtract itself.

• The _DmCopyFaces command works more predictably if the DUCS is on.

• @David Waight said:
    @fatguy,

Not sure how you are selecting, but you have 2 regions and a surface (copy of cut out on the left), my copy (copy on the right) is just 1 surface.

You need to press Ctrl and select each of the 3 faces that make up the cutout; once copied it will automatically subtract itself.

i go to the toolbar, click on Model/3D Solid Editing/Copy Faces. I then click on the 3 faces and hit enter. I then select the copy from and copy to points, I hit enter and end up with just the outline edges being copied, and no way to subtract from the main body

• You are using a different command.
    To start the _DmCopyFaces command from the menu:
    Menu > Model > Direct Modeling > Copy Faces

• Several Brics commands have two versions - the old Acad-compatible version and the Brics-only 'advanced' version which behaves differently, usually 'dm' prefixed. Trouble is, on toolbars, often the same icon for both. Takes much effort to be sure to get the right one.

The whole Acad-compatible duaplicate-commands system in Brics is horribly unresolved, a self-inflicted legacy deadweight that you'd think a 'new kid on the block' program would be free of.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    You are using a different command.
    To start the _DmCopyFaces command from the menu:
    Menu > Model > Direct Modeling > Copy Faces

Version 17 has an extract faces command under Direct Modeling, but not a Copy faces.

• _DmCopyFaces was introduced in V18.1.04.

• Hi,

We discussed the case with colleagues - DmCopyFaces is the fastest solution indeed. Check the video which shows the trickes with snapping: on given case it is obvious that we want to align upper slot with bottom hole, thus it is better to snap to vertices on end hole
    1. Preselect faces
    2. DmCopyFaces
    3. Hover over slot "carrier" face and press Shift. It locks UCS
    4. Select the vertex on bottom hole. You've chosen base point
    5. Again hover over slot "carrier" face and press Shift. It locks UCS
    6. Click vertex on another bottom hole

With this workflow we use best snap points for this task while staying on required "carrier" face.

Best regards,
    Egor