Xref paperspace views into new drawing

I have created the plan, elevation and sections etc from the 3D model using the 'GENERATE DRAWING VIEWS' command. These views are shown in the layout1 tab (paperspace) of a single file.
So as the 3D model is changed, these views automatically update in this file.

What I want to do is XREF each of these views into separate drawing files so that when the 3d model changes in the first file, all the associated drawings change when I do an "XREF RELOAD'.
I believe this can be done in Bricscad BIM but I only have Platinum.

T I A

Comments

• Dont really use XREFS but my take would be to copy the file and xref the model in to each copy.

• Works nicely Test1 model is xrefed into Test11.
    Change model in test1 save. open test11 and _Viewupdate

• Thanks Patrik,
    your method is correct however what I am trying to do is produce drawings using the master model 2d views and not have the 3D model referenced into those subsequent drawings.
    I want to xref only the paperspace views from the master model into paperspace of the new drawings and not the 3D model.
    thx

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2019

I've never heard of any dwg-based cad software being able to make an external reference to the paper space of the source file. Views are internal references to the model space of the present file, so even if what you wanted were possible, I think it would have to include an external reference to the model space of the source file. Perhaps if you were to explain why you want to avoid that, someone might be able to suggest a solution.

• Ian Johnson
    edited June 2019

@Anthony Apostolaros said:
    I've never heard of any dwg-based cad software being able to make an external reference to the paper space of the source file. Views are internal references to the model space of the present file, so even if what you wanted were possible, I think it would have to include an external reference to the model space of the source file. Perhaps if you were to explain why you want to avoid that, someone might be able to suggest a solution.

Perhaps this may explain, I have been using Microstation V8i for some months now and the workflow the company uses is as follows:-
    Create a 3D model and then produce a view or section and save that view. You can save many views, sections or details and as the model is updated, so are all the associated views. These are all in the 'Master' file.
    Next step is start a new drawing and reference in a saved view from the master file. This is done for how ever many drawings with different views that are required for the project. Thus when the 'Master' 3D model is updated, so are all the views in that file along with all the drawings that are referencing the views in the master file.

My work around in Bricscad has been to 'VIEWBASE' the model into paperspace, set up the views I require and then use the 'EXPORT LAYOUT TO MODEL' command to create another drawing with the views. This is then used for the XREF to create drawings of the required views.

What I am trying to find out is if I can directly XREF from the paperspace views in the 3D model drawing without having to create another "inbetween" drawing?

• This would be possible in BricsCAD BIM using BIMSECTION.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• @Ian Johnson said:
    Create a 3D model and then produce a view or section and save that view. You can save many views, sections or details and as the model is updated, so are all the associated views. These are all in the 'Master' file.
    Next step is start a new drawing and reference in a saved view from the master file. This is done for how ever many drawings with different views that are required for the project. Thus when the 'Master' 3D model is updated, so are all the views in that file along with all the drawings that are referencing the views in the master file.

I understood all that from your first post. I was asking why that "new drawing" file can't have an xref to the model space of the master file. You didn't address that.

The xref would automatically update when the master 3D model is changed, and any locked viewport created in the master file and copy/pasted to the second file would then show the same view of the updated model.

• @Anthony Apostolaros said:
    any locked viewport created in the master file and copy/pasted to the second file would then show the same view of the updated model.

In V18 this does not work if the VP contains a _ViewBase view.

• @Anthony Apostolaros said:

"I understood all that from your first post. I was asking why that "new drawing" file can't have an xref to the model space of the master file. You didn't address that."

The reason why I dont want to reference in a 3D model to model space and copy viewports is if I have to send those native CAD DWG files to others I only have to 'BIND' the views and not have to give others access to my 3D model.

• @Ian Johnson said:
    ..... not have to give others access to my 3D model.

By "access" do you mean the ability to edit the master file? I.e., by "others" do you mean colleagues who use the same file server but are blocked from the folder containing the master file, and you have no way to give them read-only access to it?

Or are they potential competitors, and for business reasons you don't want to give them the 3D geometry in a cad file?

• Perhaps try creating SECTIONPLANE then use SECTIONPLANETOBLOCK. There is an option with section planes to output to an external file rather than to block. This mimics the automated process provided with BIMSECTIONs.

Usage scenario
    3DMODEL with SECTIONPLANES -> SECTIONPLANETOBLOCK -> External 2D .dwg -> XREFs

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts