Video capture advice please

Excuse my ignorance, but am learning how to record screen videos, for posting here or on Support.

So far, they are huge - 25MB to 160MB for a 4min one, takes v long to upload to Support.
And 'empty' on arrival when attached as mp4, but did go through when ZIpped.

Maybe I am recording at too high res, default 1920x1080, for full-screen capture. I can choose anything down to 320x240. Any guideline on what resolution to choose, per cm2 of screen capture or whatever?

Any way to reduce mp4 file size afterwards? Res or frame rate? Does that work, or degrade legibility more than capturing at the lower res/frame rate to start with?

I am using Icecream free Screen Recorder because they also do a free Video Editor. Any better suggestions?

Comments

• You might try VideoMeld from GoldWave. It's genuinely free for videos up to five minutes in length and it can save in down-sampled formats, e.g., 1280x720, and custom bit rates.

• Woo - sounds exactly the job - thanks.

• To save me doing experiments, can anyone say,
    for the special case of screen capture video of CAD operation/problems, to be uploaded to this forum or to Support,
    what frame rate, bit rate, compression and resolution is good enough? obviously the smaller the upload the better, within reason.

I guess bit rate and resolution are related to area of the screen being captured - whether full screen or a defined 'window' of same.

• Free Screentogif is brilliant - thanks - radically 'modern' and easy to use. As an Editor it also seamlessly incorporates a Screen Capture mode, in which resolution and framerate can be set - however I don't see any mention of bitrate - either setting it during capture or editing it later.

Free Videomeld is also equally good - but at the opposite end of the spectrum - very traditional-style UI - but capable and understandable - much like Brics in fact! And does cover bitrate.

Thanks v much for both recommendations.

Still looking for advice on
    "for the special case of screen capture video of CAD operation/problems, to be uploaded to this forum or to Support,
    what frame rate, bit rate, compression and resolution is good enough? obviously the smaller the upload the better, within reason."

• Joyoshare Screen Recorder is said to adjust the fps and resolution of your video recordings automatically so that you could get a video in fine quality and smaller file size. But I'm not sure about this.