installing on Ubuntu 19.04 problems

Trying to install shapesv18 onto Ubuntu. VERY frustrating, software centre click install and 2 seconds later up comes the Install button again. new downloads and nothing works.
I am now fed up. ive tried apt-get install, no luck.
unless there is some easy fix, i'll give up thanks!

Comments

• The software center can be very confusing indeed. I prefer using GDebi Package Installer.

On commandline, I usesudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb/file.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159094/how-to-install-a-deb-file-by-dpkg-i-or-by-apt

• I have the same problem on Ubuntu 19.04.

Installing with dpkg results in an error due to dependency problem with libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 which has been removed from the Debian and Ubuntu repos in 2018. Bricsys Devs should de something about this as this renders the package useless for many Ubuntu and Debian users.

• To be able to upgrade that dependency we had to upgrade wxWidgets, the GUI library that we use. We have done so for V20, we cannot do this for V19 anymore (too disruptive). Now that we are on the newest wxWidgets, we also still have to move from gtk2 to gtk3, we're working on that. That should bring us 'back to the present' regarding dependencies.

To be able to remove that dependency in V19.2 we disabled the webview in the getstarted dialog and in the tips panel. This is already done in BricsCAD (Linux) V19.2.10, so the latest BricsCAD V19.2 should not depend on libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 anymore.

A Shape(Linux) V19.2.x update is still intended. Loosing the tips panel will be somewhat inconvenient, but with V20 it should be back.

• Michael Mayer
    edited July 2019

Shape v19 would be nice.
    Even without tips ...