Newbie How To Needed on Foolproofing Customizations when Upgrading

After lightly customizing the interface and settings, it appears that this application makes upgrading seamless; preserving all of my changes in two upgrade sessions.
As the CAD user that introduced this app to my company (without the fanfare and multi-media event of another), I would like to ensure other future BricsCAD users have the same experience.

What are key things to do with any customizations before an upgrade?

Thanks,
Clint

Comments

1. Place all customisation in a known location. Don't store in BricsCAD program or user settings folders.
    2. Keep a backup.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• chillme1
    edited August 2019

Hi Jason,

Excellent! I do follow those suggestions since using the "other" CAD and these have proven successful in the upgrade process in both applications.

BricsCAD is superior in retaining customizations when upgrading. Frankly, I am amazed at how well it does this and praise the developers in the area among others.

As a full-time CAD operator (with many other CAD hats) using Platinum now for about three months and who will be supporting other occasional single-sear license BricsCAD Classic users soon, I want to ensure that all of their custom settings and interfaces are retained in upgraded versions.

I have an additional couple of questions:

1. Which settings are stored exclusively in a SETTINGS .CSV file?
    2. Which customizations are stored in a custom PROFILE?
    3. Are these two features independent of each other?

Meanwhile, I am perusing HELP as time allows.

Thanks,
    Clint Hill

• Another important factor is the customization of using 3rd party applications. For example the Express tools. Applications must be loaded separately. And some applications may require some significant expertise to get installed.

-Joe

• There are 3 important areas to take into account when dealing with customizations:

A. CUI
    You should create a partial CUI to hold you menu customizations. That way you do not have to repeat all your work when you upgrade to a new BricsCAD version that comes with a new default.cui. Since the location of certain GUI elements can get stored in the CUI, each user should have a personal CUI folder.

B. Profile
    When you have set up a station to your liking you can export the profile. Before importing the profile for another user be sure to check the .arg file and replace any references to a fixed user name with the correct placeholder. Always exit BricsCAD before exporting/importing profiles. Use the stand-alone User Profile Manager instead.

C. Templates
    Create your own templates and keep them up to date. Avoid dim styles with overrides. All users can use the same server template folder. But using a local folder may be the better option in case of network outages.

The general procedure is:

1. Copy all the folders and files.
    2. Import the profile.
    3. Set the profile to current.

The .csv files that you can create from the _Settings dialog are just for reference and comparison. They are not used by BricsCAD.