Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't 'Snap to middle of 2 points' work the same way twice?

I wanted to draw a line up the middle of 2 cylinders (water tanks) using 'Snap to middle of 2 points'. It didn't work.

So, I created a horizontal line below the tanks as an experiment. I can successfully use 'Snap to middle of 2 points' on the line, but not when I attempt to use the centers of 2 cylinders.

Why?

Comments

• Some codec issue prevents me from watching the screencast. But my guess is that you have DUCS switched on.

• Roy:

DUCS is on.

Help me understand - how does that affect getting to the mid point between 2 points? Those points are in 3D space regardless of how the UCS is set.

Also, I downloaded the screencast to my box from the web site and it plays on my box so the file is OK. It's an MP4 I created from a default screencast .webm file format using VLC Media Player. I do that conversion because when filing a bug report that system refuses to accept .webm files. Can you play other mp4 files?

• Basically points are acquired in the current UCS. If the UCS changes during 'Snap to middle of 2 points' the resultant point will be unpredictable.

I can usually play MP4 files.

• Roy:

OK - I get it. When the UCS changed it destroyed the first points reference leaving only the second point which is where the line started.

I tried it without DUCS and it worked fine, so your educated guess was correct.

Thank You

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    Basically points are acquired in the current UCS. If the UCS changes during 'Snap to middle of 2 points' the resultant point will be unpredictable.

Great !

Ran into that too.