Bricscad 2019 Conference

Seemed to pretty much have happened under the radar (?)

Found a few feature teaser videos on youtube.
(What happened to BIM ?)
Not much on facebook, twitter, instagram and Bricscad Blog this year.
Must have been a (too much) great after party ?

Comments

• CADMebel
    edited October 2019

I'm a little bit disappointed about the lack of 2D and 3D drafting and modeling tools improvements. BricsCAD is still too tied to boxy modelling - no real surface and free-form modeling tools, no advanced tools for working with curves. Rendering is at 90's level - despite the new Enscape (subscriptions only!!) plugin only for BIM! And My suspicions are approved - since buyout from Hexagon development is heavily shifted toward BIM first approach! Really tired to see the same pattern - all general purpose CAD software leaning toward architecture!

• Mathieu
    edited October 2019

Hi

You can find a summary of the 2 days here:
    https://blog.bricsys.com/whats-happening-at-bricsys-2019-conference-day-1/
    https://blog.bricsys.com/whats-happening-at-bricsys-2019-day-2/

Feature teasers and What's New Movies are also available on the Bricsys youtube channel.

A Rhino/Grasshoper plugin will also be added in v20 to do your freeform modelling.

Regards

Mathieu

• As I understood Rhino/Grasshoper will be available only for BIM? And it is not exactly free-form modeling. I'm using Rhino and Grasshopper is a visual programming environment - i.e. instead of creating a box using BricsCAD command, doing the same with LISP routine.

• Michael Mayer
    edited October 2019

despite the new Enscape (subscriptions only!!) plugin

Even more problematic,
    Windows-only.

And the fear that this is the end of further RedSDK Renderer
    integration and developement of a "full feature" FBX export.

• @CADMebel said:
    I'm a little bit disappointed about the lack of 2D and 3D drafting and modeling tools improvements. BricsCAD is still too tied to boxy modelling - no real surface and free-form modeling tools, no advanced tools for working with curves. Rendering is at 90's level - despite the new Enscape (subscriptions only!!) plugin only for BIM! And My suspicions are approved - since buyout from Hexagon development is heavily shifted toward BIM first approach! Really tired to see the same pattern - all general purpose CAD software leaning toward architecture!

I second these concerns regarding the BIM and rendering. They got some videos on the mechanical front but not near as many as BIM.
    I wish the general modeling look wasn't "pastel colors" but I guess you can play around with materials settings.

• CADMebel
    edited October 2019

The videos of the Bricscad 2019 Conference are online now .https://youtube.com/user/bricsys/videos

• ^ Great !

Meanwhile I watched them.
    Keynote was very exciting !
    Video Quality was fine too. Great job.

I would have missed 80% of the new Features, or their meaning,
    without these Conference Videos

• Yes, I also learned a lot from this videos. Comparing to AutoCAD, BricsCAD is moving ahead with the speed of light! Despite the BIM bias, I like a lot what they did in BricsCAD v20!

• V19 Release was hard to top with its firework of stunning new features.
    I was nearly a bit disappointed with V20 at first by what I read from
    text and feature lists only. And this years lag of enthusiasm and spoilers
    on "social media" accounts.
    This year it's so much more on improving existing Tools and Workflows,
    which I really appreciate. Many have large positive impact.
    Some Apple-like things you didn't know you could need but now can't live
    without it anymore.

Most Software Release Keynotes mention they listened to customers.
    In Bricscad's case I am happy that they seem to have asked some smart users
    with very useful wishes for changes and improvements.

• About the Rhino plugin: it's created to work with BricsCAD BIM as first objective but the plugin will be open source.
    So you will be able to take out the BIM specific parts so it can work with other BricsCAD flavours, if you cannot wait for Bricsys to do it :)