Thread in a solid

How do i create an thread in an solid?
is there an tool to create an representation of an thread?

greatz Bart

Comments

• This has gone unanswered for a while so I guess I'll jump in with one guy's opinion.

To put an internal thread in a solid or make an external threaded part, most of the time it's just a plain cylindrical hole or simple cylinder. The drawing is annotated with an appropriate call-out to describe the thread. The rest of the time I use one of the standard parts with ThreadDisplay set ON. That's often useful for exploded views or user diagrams. For manufacturing, though, the standard description (for ASME/ANSI) of nominal size, threads/inch, series, class, and gaging system suffices.

I have modeled proper UN and SI thread forms because nerd and also for 3D printing of some pieces but it's way overkill for most drawings.

• zo i understand there's no function to place an thread. i hav to place manually an solid representing an thread.

• There are thread forms (and complete fasteners) available from the component library. However they are representational, or notional, and not fully realized ANSI or SI helical profiles. The thread components can be subtracted from a solid to illustrate a threaded hole but are not themselves, or are they intended to be, directly machinable. For a part which is destined for CNC, drop a hole with the tap drill size and depth and indicate the ultimate internal thread form using standard nomenclature. For illustrations, the notional threads are fine. They look "threaded" without imposing the computational load of fully realized helical threads with strict profiles.