Saving new bim structural profiles

I have created some new BIM steel profiles in a model. Can I use these profiles in another project?
Is there a user file created somewhere that stores these custom profiles and can I add to it via a text entries to this file.

TIA

Comments

• Hi Ian,

Hi Ian,

There are two ways to do this:

1) Copy the profiles from your project database to your library database. The library database is an SQLite database containing all the standard profiles that we deliver with the project. If you copy your custom profiles to your library, you will find them anytime you create a new drawing and open the profiles panel. I attached a small movie on how to copy profiles to your library. FYI: the library itself can be found in your SUPPORTFOLDER and is called metric.bsyslib or imperial.bsyslib, depending on which drawing template you are using.

2) Export your project database to and XML file and import in another drawing. This way the profiles will NOT be saved in your library database but you can import them per drawing individually. I've also attached a movie showing how you can do this. This XML file is readable and can be edited with a text editor.

I hope this helps.

Jacob

• Hi Jacob,

after some trial and error I managed to add all the Australian profiles to the metric.bsyslib today.

The answers you gave was most helpful and by saving one profile and then adding all the other sizes to the .xml file, importing that edited file into a drawing and dragging to the library table worked.

Thanks for your help.

regards Ian

• For those in Australia I have attached the additional members that are not in the standard Bricscad BIM library.

• iosman000
    edited January 2020

@Ian Johnson said:
    I have created some new BIM steel profiles in a model. Can I use these profiles in another project?
    Is there a user file created somewhere that stores these custom profiles and can I add to it via a text entries to this file.

TIA

thanks my issue has been fixed.

• I have created some new BIM steel profiles in a model. Can I use these profiles in another project?

TIA

thanks my issue has been fixed.