How to name multiple copies of a single xref differently

In Autocad I can xref multiple copies of the same drawing (usually a base floor plan) into a sheet model space, and name each xref copy differently. This allows me to control the layer attributes of each xref copy separately in model space. For instance, one xref might be the floor plan, another a demo plan, and another the reflected ceiling plan. Each of these could have a viewport into a separate sheet layout in the drawing, with different layer conditions for each. I know I can freeze layers just in a viewport, but having the layers set in model space allows me to annotate each plan there and refer to each other plan without having to switch into paper space. This approach also lets me group all of the plan views required for a project into one drawing with multiple layouts.

I haven't found a way to do this in BCAD. I can change the name of an xref, but every additional insertion of that same drawing file uses the same name. Does anyone have a method to do this type of thing in BCAD?

Comments

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited January 2020

This works:

1. Start the _Xref command.
    2. Click the 'Attach Xref' button.
    3. Select the file and change the path option.
    4. Change the name in the 'Name' field.
    5. Click 'OK'.
  • thanks Roy, I was trying to do this via the properties panel and the Drawing Explorer. I see the correct way is use the _xref command to open the Attachments panel and make the change there. I went down the wrong road because I made a tool bar button for _xattach that I've been using instead of the Attachment panel and had never opened it.