Editing inserted tiff image, not attached

Is there a Bricscad add on that allows editing of embedded tiff files?
Previously we could edit the attached tiff file, which was in the same folder as the cad file, with an image editor (GIMP or Photoshop).
We have a customer who is now insisting on having the previously attached tiff file inserted in the cad file.
The tiff part of the cad file is editable by Autocad Raster Design which is now built into Autocad.
We cannot justify renting Autocad for a small number of embedded tiff jobs each year.

Comments

• ?? editing in other software still works for me. Updates when I open next time.

• Editing what with what other software?
    The tiff no longer exits as an attached file.
    The information that was in the tiff file is now saved inside the cad file.

• I open a drawing add a TIFF from the cadfile folder.
    edit the TIFF in paint.
    reopen and the new edited TIFF appears

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited January 2020

Pardon me for butting in, but it sounds like Patrick is talking about attached image files, which are similar to xref's, and Tridec is talking about OLE objects. I never use the latter, but I think the L stands for Link. Maybe OLE objects are only editable if the embedded object is linked to an external file. I see something in the Help files about Bricscad being able to open the linked file for editing, using the appropriate application. I don't see anything about editing an OLE image that was created by pasting an image in. Maybe there's a way of creating a linked file retroactively from a pasted-in image.

• The previously attached TIFF file is converted to DWG objects. The TIFF file is discarded as it is no longer needed.
    The information that was in the TIFF file is now edited in the DWG file.

• Patrick, we used to do what you have stated, but that is no longer an option.

• @Tridec said:
    The previously attached TIFF file is converted to DWG objects.

How is that done? And what kind of DWG objects is it converted to?

I was guessing you meant by copy and paste, or by the InsertObj command, and that the resulting DWG object is an OLE Frame. That's the only way I know of embedding an image in a DWG file.

Or do you mean that the raster image from the TIF file is converted to vector graphics -- cad Lines, Polylines, Arcs, etc. -- and that it's those cad entities, rather than a raster image, that become part of the DWG file?

• IEMBED command performs the action.
    It may be saved as an AECIDBEMBEDDEDRASTERIMAGE entity, but I don't know for sure.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited January 2020

@Tridec said:
    IEMBED command performs the action.

It looks like IEMBED is part of Autocad Raster Design, and not part of Bricscad or even of Autocad per se. I don't know of any Bricscad add-on that does what ARD does, which is apparently create "bitonal" versions of image files and store them in the DWG file but not in OLE Frames. And then you can edit those images later by activating ARD from inside Autocad. Anyone who has a lot of DWG files with those bitonal images in them is probably condemned to pay Autocad subscription fees forever. Maybe that's the point.

Looking for something similar in Bricscad, I found that if I copy an image from Photoshop and paste it into a DWG file, the image appears to be stored in the DWG file in an OLE Frame, without it being saved as a separate Photoshop file, but with this difference from standard OLE images: I can later edit the image by using Bricscad's OLEOPEN command, which temporarily switches to Photoshop again. When I'm done I just close Photoshop, and then I'm automatically returned to Bricscad, and the OLE image in the DWG file shows the changes I made.

• IEMBED was part of Autocad Raster Design.
    Raster Design was an Autocad toolset, but it no longer sold.
    IEMBED is now part of Autocad