Right mouse click customization

I've modified my interface to use the right mouse button for the "enter" command. As a former AutoCAD user, I'm not finding one further enhancement that is very useful. In AutoCAD, it's called "right click customization" and it allows right click to do more than one thing. If a command is ongoing, then right click (in my case) would mean "enter". If no objects are selected, then right click means "repeat last command". This is something I use constantly. In Bricscad, if no objects are selected then right click brings up a dialog box where "repeat" is an option listed along with a number of other commands. This adds an extra step which, in the long run, slows things down. Since the drawing process often means performing similar actions in sequence then the ability to simply "repeat" w/o going through a dialog box is a faster way of working. Maybe there is a way to accomplish the same thing in Bricscad but I don't know what it is. Would appreciate any suggestions. Otherwise, I guess this could be taken as a feature request.

Comments

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2020

Hmmh,
    I use standard behavior with Quad.

So for me RMB is ENTER (?) while I'm in a command.
    Like accept inputs and finish command.
    Although something was selected.

When not in a command and nothing selected and I "short click"
    RMB in blank screen, it will bring the the "default" Quad.
    (AFAIK if something selected it will bring an object aware Quad)

If I do a "long" RMB click, it will bring a standard context menu or
    SHIFT+click brings Snap Settings.

Just RMB to "repeat last command" is a bit tricky.
    I once had settings (Quad deactivated or something) where it worked well,
    but normally it is easier to use SPACEBAR instead.
    As with Quad active, RMB by default will open Quad beside your cursor
    and you need to relocate your cursor over the Icon of that "last used command"
    before you release RMB to "accept" the command,
    which is one tedious step more.
    But maybe I am doing something wrong here.

• Spacebar it will be. Thanks for your help.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited January 2020

@William Dinger said:
    ... allows right-click to do more than one thing. If a command is ongoing, then right-click (in my case) would mean "enter". If no objects are selected, then right-click means "repeat last command".

That's actually just one thing. When no command is active, Enter or Space means "repeat last command."

Right-click can mean:
    1. Enter, or
    2. Pop up the appropriate context menu (there are 3 of them, for different circumstances), or
    3. Enter if pressed just for an instant, and Pop up context menus if held down.

For option 1, set CTRLMOUSE = 0.
    For option 2, set CTRLMOUSE = 1 and set SHORTCUTMENU = 7.
    For option 3, set CTRLMOUSE = 1, set SHORCUTMENU = 23, and set SHORTCUTMENUDURATION to whatever hold time, in milliseconds, you want to wait to see the context menus pop up.

You can set each of those variables just by typing the variable name. Or you can set them and also see a description of how each one works, by opening the Settings dialog and searching for "shortcut."

To choose what's on each of the right-click context menus, open Tools > Settings, the Menu tab, and scroll down to the section called Context Menus.
    The DEFAULT context menu pops up when nothing is selected and no command is active.
    The EDIT context menu pops up when something is selected but no command is active.
    The COMMAND context menu pops up when a command is active.
    The EDIT and COMMAND context menus have some built-in menu items that aren't listed in the Customize window. Those vary depending on what's selected or what stage of which command is active.