BIMIFY NOT WORKING OR LIMITED?

I was impressed with the capability that Bimify seemed to offer. However, it is not working as I had hoped.

I was hoping to be able to take existing "dead" or datum geometry created in a application outside of Bricsys and bimify it within bricsys to save time with my modelling. However, I can only get bimify to work if

1) the objects were created using Shape - that is create them in shape exported into BricsBim and then run bimify to convert the pipe datum solid object to a native bricsbeam object
2) the file i am opening is an IFC file

I have attached an example where i have imported a simple pipe shape created outside of bricsys - a AISC HSS8.625x0.625 round HSS stee section. Whenever i try to bimify the geometry it will not determine a profile to use, and hence it is never reassigned as a bricsbim beam object.

Is this the intended behavior in that Bimify can only work on solid geometry created in Shape or IFC? This is a real shame if so, thanks........

Comments

• Hi,

We are investigating this.
    For now you can fix this by running the command DmSimplify on the solid and then redo Bimify.
    When you want to start with solids without any BIM data assigned yet, I want to recommend to choose the structural discipline in the Bimify Advanced Dialog for this drawing.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Kind regards,
    Elise Lapeirre.

• Michael Mayer
    edited December 2019

Is this the intended behavior in that Bimify can only work on solid geometry created in Shape or IFC?

Aha,
    I wasn't aware of that.
    When I tested with Vectorworks DWG exports,
    I also thought BIMIFY just wouldn't work that fine.
    (Not recognizing standardized Profiles/Members
    and such things)

I also experienced, that BIMIFY works absolutely great when
    I create Solids Geometry from scratch in Bricscad or Shape
    instead..

On the other hand,
    when I deal with IFCs, it is quite unlikely that I want to
    run BIMIFY over to re-tag or change that information (?)
    (It doesn't touch already assigned elements nevertheless)

But what I would like to be able to do is to BIMIFY my "imported" DWGs
    from other Apps or from clients.
    And the sub-elements inside IFC Blocks, as I get only the Blocks
    IFC-tagged in and all elements inside are just standard Solids.
    (Solids in the best case, very likely just Surfaces, loose 3D Polygons
    or some corrupt Solids that will disappear after a AUDIT/fix.

• @Michael Mayer said:

Is this the intended behavior in that Bimify can only work on solid geometry created in Shape or IFC?

Aha,
    I wasn't aware of that.
    When I tested with Vectorworks DWG exports,
    I also thought BIMIFY just wouldn't work that fine.
    (Not recognizing standardized Profiles/Members
    and such things)

I also experienced, that BIMIFY works absolutely great when
    I create Solids Geometry from scratch in Bricscad or Shape
    instead..

On the other hand,
    when I deal with IFCs, it is quite unlikely that I want to
    run BIMIFY over to re-tag or change that information (?)
    (It doesn't touch already assigned elements nevertheless)

But what I would like to be able to do is to BIMIFY my "imported" DWGs
    from other Apps or from clients.
    And the sub-elements inside IFC Blocks, as I get only the Blocks
    IFC-tagged in and all elements inside are just standard Solids.
    (Solids in the best case, very likely just Surfaces, loose 3D Polygons
    or some corrupt Solids that will disappear after a AUDIT/fix.

Yes to me this is the huge game changer to be able to convert datum objects from a client into a parametric bim object in BricsysBIM. I am now able to achieve this by first using _dmsimplify. It would be nice if it did this automatically.

• @EliseL said:
    Hi,

We are investigating this.
    For now you can fix this by running the command DmSimplify on the solid and then redo Bimify.
    When you want to start with solids without any BIM data assigned yet, I want to recommend to choose the structural discipline in the Bimify Advanced Dialog for this drawing.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Kind regards,
    Elise Lapeirre.

I can conform this works if i first use _dmsimplify after importing geometry. However, the correct profile is not being applied from say AISC steel sections even though the geometry of the object is exact for the shape. It is assigning a generic circular section with a bricsys bim profile attached which is great and will allow me to modify downstream and replace with another bricsys bim section. There maybe some merit in giving the user to simplify or not simplify imported geometry. Maybe another option in the bimify dialog?

• Michael Mayer
    edited December 2019

I can conform this works if i first use _dmsimplify after importing geometry.

Hmmh,
    it normally is my habbit to even do a DMSIMPLIFYALL
    directly after "importing" any foreign data,
    before I touch anything else.

So I shouldn't have had that expreience (?)

• @Michael Mayer said:

I can conform this works if i first use _dmsimplify after importing geometry.

Hmmh,
    it normally is my habbit to even do a DMSIMPLIFYALL
    directly after "importing" any foreign data,
    before I touch anything else.

So I shouldn't have had that expreience (?)

if you do dmsimplify first before bimify it should work. Maybe your geometry is not a solid and is a polysurface/mesh? Maybe also run an audit on the geometry. I have checked this with circular profiles and rectangular profiles. Need to look at other profile geometry....

• Well, I have to look at it again.

• Hi

I want to give you an update on this issue. We have found a solution that does not require the user to do DMSimplify anymore prior to running Bimify for this problem. The fix will be available in the next release.

Thank you again for reporting this!

Kind regards,
    Elise.

• It better be, cos as far as I remember, after the Oct Conf, Brics were putting great store by the truly unique USP of being able to take dumb geometry from other applications e.g. Sketchup even tho that prtoduces Surfaces not Solids - and BIMify it.
    Trouble is, I can't find the quotes/interviews that led me to that. I thought perhaps Grabowski https://www.worldcadaccess.com/upfrontezine . Anyone?

• This can be a game changer if bricsys can successfully implement it
  • if your import file from Revit, you must be advanced when import IFC. This is helping?

• @embotbot said:
    if your import file from Revit, you must be advanced when import IFC. This is helping?

the game changer with bimify is to import datum geometry form a client that is not in an ifc format and make the dumb geometry parametric and bim ready through usinf bimify. I dont want to use IFC. It seems to be better in the new release. This is to me what can make bricsys bim a REVIT killer.