Useful Bim Properties not Available in Grasshopper Link

It is not possible to access the following properties form a Building Element defined in BricsysBIM when using the gasshopper link. It is essential to have these properties

1. Axis Angle - needed to know the orientation of the solid
  2. Profile name
  3. Profile Size
  4. Eccentricity - insertion point
  5. Start Point
  6. End Point

Because these properties are not exposed it is not possible to modify existing linear solids in a BricSYS model. All AEC programs I have used allow exposure to these properties and they are essential.

I understood all properties in bricsys bim should be available from GH link.

thanks

Comments

• Hey

The BricsCAD connection does have a component where you can get the extrusion path, the axis and the profile curves as lines.
    The component is called Linear Info Solid from the Information tab of the BricsCAD ribbon. If you then use regular Grasshopper operations you can extract the angle, the start point, and the endpoint. Also, I think, you can calculate the eccentricity from the difference between the extrusion path and the profile curve at any point of the lines. The profile name and sizes we should still add to this component! Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards
    Fleur

• @Fleur_Dooms said:
    Hey

The BricsCAD connection does have a component where you can get the extrusion path, the axis and the profile curves as lines.
    The component is called Linear Info Solid from the Information tab of the BricsCAD ribbon. If you then use regular Grasshopper operations you can extract the angle, the start point, and the endpoint. Also, I think, you can calculate the eccentricity from the difference between the extrusion path and the profile curve at any point of the lines. The profile name and sizes we should still add to this component! Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards
    Fleur

You cannot use grasshopper for this using the bricsys grasshopper components, Ive tried. Rotation angle parameter is not a parameter option exposed in the bricsys grasshopper components - please see my other post where teh existing components do not expose all parameters. In fact, a large chunk of parameters are not available. Please show me how you can do this if you did but I do not believe it is possible. I also need a reference angle - axis - for the beam orientation. Even an angle will not help here unless you can also expose (clarify the convention in documentation) the reference plane from which the angle was calculated. Im not sure I understand how you can calculate the eccentricity....

• @tslewis71 said:

@Fleur_Dooms said:
    Hey

Regards
    Fleur

You cannot use grasshopper for this using the bricsys grasshopper components, Ive tried. Rotation angle parameter is not a parameter option exposed in the bricsys grasshopper components - please see my other post where teh existing components do not expose all parameters. In fact, a large chunk of parameters are not available. Please show me how you can do this if you did but I do not believe it is possible. I also need a reference angle - axis - for the beam orientation. Even an angle will not help here unless you can also expose (clarify the convention in documentation) the reference plane from which the angle was calculated. Im not sure I understand how you can calculate the eccentricity....

Maybe you have updated the grasshopper components and I am not running the latest?

• Fleur_Dooms
    edited December 2019

Hey I attached a Zip, with what I think is your solution to all of the problems described above.
    It is a workaround though, so we can maybe implement it into a bit more straightforward component, but for now you can give this a look.

Tell me if this was what you were looking for!

Disclaimer, if you want to make this work for multiple solids it might ask some grafting etc, I can look into that later if this was effectively what you wanted to achieve as results.

Best regards
    Fleur

• Ok let me look, I’m pretty experienced at writing custom components in VS but I’d prefer if there was an official bricsys custom component to acccess those properties. I also think all properties on a bim object available in the properties swindle of bricsbim should be available. Also is there a bricsys custom component to instantiate components along with component properties from gh, taht would be super cool, thanks, I’ll let you know my thoughts on the attached
  • I’d prefer. Not to have to write my own as I have enough projects on my plate as is ;)
  • Yes I will need it to work on multiple solids - grafting is pretty essential in gh to manage data so if you have time I would definitely make sure to look into it. Likely an expanded bricsys custom component that exposes all the properties is the best solution
  • Fleur_Dooms
    edited December 2019

@tslewis71 said:
    Also is there a bricsys custom component to instantiate components along with component properties from gh, taht would be super cool, thanks

Hey

I do not know what you exactly mean. Can you explain a bit more?

• @Fleur_Dooms said:

@tslewis71 said:
    Also is there a bricsys custom component to instantiate components along with component properties from gh, taht would be super cool, thanks

Hey

I do not know what you exactly mean. Can you explain a bit more?

Bricsys has a library of components. Say I had a Bricsys (BS) component (not a grass hopper component the BS components that come with bricsys library for solid smart objects) for a base plate I had created in Bricsys as a BS component. I would like Grasshopper (GH) to have a GH component to be able to select that BS component from the bricsys library and instantiate (build an object, specify a position, generate it a physical copy in Bricsys) it within BS on a array of column base points.

• @tslewis71 said:
    Bricsys has a library of components. Say I had a Bricsys (BS) component (not a grass hopper component the BS components that come with bricsys library for solid smart objects) for a base plate I had created in Bricsys as a BS component. I would like Grasshopper (GH) to have a GH component to be able to select that BS component from the bricsys library and instantiate (build an object, specify a position, generate it a physical copy in Bricsys) it within BS on a array of column base points.

Hey, thanks for clarifying. I understand now. Today we don't have this option to select a component from the library in your Grasshopper script. We also don't have the option yet to read in block entities from your drawing as input for a Grasshopper script, only real geometry can be read in the current implementation. I will add these two requests to the list of useful features for one of the next releases of the connector.

• @tslewis71 said:
    Yes I will need it to work on multiple solids - grafting is pretty essential in gh to manage data so if you have time I would definitely make sure to look into it. Likely an expanded bricsys custom component that exposes all the properties is the best solution

Hereby I attach the file that works on multiple linear solids (it also filters out only the BIM Beams, Columns and Members from the BricsCAD file). There was only one flatten extra needed as opposed to the previous version I uploaded.

• Regarding development of gh and bricsys components - I was not able to go to the GitHub link provided on the bricsys website, had or moved?
  • I don't know where you previously found the link to the GitHub, but here is the correct one in any case: https://github.com/Bricsys/rhino.inside-bricscad . We will publish it soon on our hep page etc.

• The GH component for extracting value for profile name is useless as it only returns an integer number not the name of the profile being extracted. DataExtraction command to a CSV file also does not give the profile ID integer.

Please can you expose the following properties on the GH component should be easy - see attached image.

I want to be able to pull out profile names and IDS so i can rebuild outside of Bricsys

• @tslewis71 said:
    The GH component for extracting value for profile name is useless as it only returns an integer number not the name of the profile being extracted. DataExtraction command to a CSV file also does not give the profile ID integer.

Please can you expose the following properties on the GH component should be easy - see attached image.

I want to be able to pull out profile names and IDS so i can rebuild outside of Bricsys

anyone?

• @tslewis71 said:
    The GH component for extracting value for profile name is useless as it only returns an integer number not the name of the profile being extracted. DataExtraction command to a CSV file also does not give the profile ID integer.

This is in development at the moment. However, we wanted to output the angle of the profile as well in the same component (as you also asked), but since this turned out a little more difficult this delayed things a bit. I will notify you when this new component, with all the asked outputs, is available.

• @Fleur_Dooms said:

@tslewis71 said:

This is in development at the moment. However, we wanted to output the angle of the profile as well in the same component (as you also asked), but since this turned out a little more difficult this delayed things a bit. I will notify you when this new component, with all the asked outputs, is available.

Do you have examples of creating custom grasshopper components using ,NET? I have written several and I would like ability to create my own.

Are you going to include option for insertion/offset line in addition to center line axis?

Thank you for replying