How to annotate before/after for renovation layouts?

Hello :-)

For the renovation of a house, I am used to see in the layouts:

• Black: all unmodified elements
  • In Yellow: all removed element / current state of the house
  • In Red: all modified elements / future state of the house

However I could not find options in BricsCAD for this, what is the proper way to modelise before/after?

Off-topic: In the forum, I have seen topics tagged with "Answered". How can I add this tag to an answer/topic?

Thank you in advance for your reading and answers.

Adrian

Comments

• Others among us are struggling with this same question:
    https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/35631

The approach I am experimenting with is to classify new and existing entities as separate "buildings" in BimSpatialLocations, in addition to managing various existing and demolition layers. Classifying the "buildings" adds a level of organization to the structure tree which has been helpful while modeling. I've yet to see how it plays out for construction drawings.

[No idea how to mark a question "answered", or how to remove it when sometimes my threads have gotten tagged as such by external forces even though the question was not sufficiently answered.]

• ScottS are you able, as the design develops and elaborates, to progressively move objects from the Existing 'building' into the Removed 'building' (it remains in the same position in space). And to slice existing objects, so that part of it remains in the Existing 'building' and the rest moves to Removed?

I've been doing similar by having Existing, Removed and New-work BLOCKS (I haven't had Modified as a category) which can each be Shown or Hidden (or Isolated) as a whole. Showing Existing and Removed displays the building as-is; showing Existing and New-work displays the building as it will be.

However, with BLOCKS, individual elements within the BLOCK cannot be temporarily Show/Hidden for the purpose of seing and working on other elements behind - a v big annoyance. So does your method allow Show/Hide in full?

• @ScottS said:
    The approach I am experimenting with is to classify new and existing entities as separate "buildings" in BimSpatialLocations,

That is a nice idea.

• @Tom Foster said:
    ScottS are you able to progressively move objects from the Existing 'building' into the Removed 'building' (it remains in the same position in space). And to slice existing objects, so that part of it remains in the Existing 'building' and the rest moves to Removed?

I think yes,
    just switch the "building" in properties.
    (Not sure if you have to re-apply Story and such again too ?)

I think, if you slice a Wall or other BIM tagged object,
    one or both lose tagging and spatial location anyway ?

• @Tom Foster said:
    ScottS are you able, as the design develops and elaborates, to progressively move objects from the Existing 'building' into the Removed 'building' (it remains in the same position in space). And to slice existing objects, so that part of it remains in the Existing 'building' and the rest moves to Removed?

I've been doing similar by having Existing, Removed and New-work BLOCKS (I haven't had Modified as a category) which can each be Shown or Hidden (or Isolated) as a whole. Showing Existing and Removed displays the building as-is; showing Existing and New-work displays the building as it will be.

However, with BLOCKS, individual elements within the BLOCK cannot be temporarily Show/Hidden for the purpose of seing and working on other elements behind - a v big annoyance. So does your method allow Show/Hide in full?

The 'building' can be reassigned without shifting the spatial position. But at this point I just have "existing" and "new" 'buildings. Anything to be removed I put on a 3D-DEMO layer, which I usually keep frozen while modeling the new work, or occasionally I make it transparent.

So, yes, I end up slicing up existing objects, and assign the bits to remove to the DEMO layer. The existing-to-remain stays on its usual layer. With BIM now I find less need for so many layers for walls, doors, floors, etc. as I used to use to keep a model organized, but I still use many layers out of habit or convenience.

I am getting to know the power of the structure browser for Show/Hide. Depending on how you choose to configure the structure tree, you can quickly Hide or Isolate "new" or "existing" buildings, or by story irrespective of 'building', or by layer, by composition, and so on.

You are right, though, about blocks. I think a major shortcoming is the inability, by structure tree or other method that I know of, to navigate blocks to Show/Hide their contents rapidly.

• Tom Foster
    edited July 2020

That ability, to Show/Hide individual elements within a BLOCK, incl via Structure Panel, was there in early versions of V19 but was removed. So it's not technically impossible, just something like incompatible with Autocad, or causing invisibility of elements in a file sent to an unsuspecting other user, or similar.

I have put in SRs to reinstate, with result (2018) "This is to inform you that our team is aware about the current behavior and it's working to provide a fix for this issue." - wd be gd if other users could vote for same with SRs.

• I personally used the following strategy to solve this:

Put "before" content in a specific layer, e.g. "BEFORE"
    Put "added" content in a specific layer, e.g. "ADDED"
    Put "destroyed" content in a specific layer, e.g. "DELETED"

Then, specify colours to be byLayer, and set them to red for "ADDED", yellow for "DELETED" and black for "BEFORE". It was a bit complex to manage, but it made the job.