Components

Hi people,

in the new version I was looking at the new features for "smart insert". if I look at the standard components there are no constraints in the components only parameters.
How do they work I want to make my own components but i can't figure it out.

I know how to assign an design table with the constraints, but can't make the lines and points in the component work with the parameters.
I opent some of the standard parts but can't find out how they do it.

Bart

Comments

• I too would like to see this functionality detailed such we can expand the library.

• RSW
    RSW
    edited December 2020

You need to create the parameters separately from the constraints and then link the constraint to the parameter.

For example, if you create a distance constraint between two surfaces it will generate a value, e.g. 100 as part of the constraint.
    Create a new user parameter called e.g. "Distancebetween"

Then in the constraints section of the mechanical browser look up the constraint you want to be controlled by the parameter and into the expression field of that constraint you put in the name of the controlling parameter, "Distancebetween" in this case.

When you change the value in the expression field of the parameter it will then also change the value of the associated constraint.
    See before and after screen captures
    Before

After linking user parameter with constraint

After changing expression value of user parameter to e.g. 50

You can use the user parameter to control multiple constraints of the same kind that should have the same value (e.g. if you have three items that need to have the same distance between them you can set two constraints and use only one parameter to drive both constraints).
    Or e.g. if something is defined by radius (e.g. tubing) you can create a diameter user parameter and then use the radius constraint for the tube diameter with in the expression of the constraint "Diameter/2" to derive the radius from the diameter.

Unless you already knew this and meant something else.

Dissolving the standard component will show you the design table in the mechanical browser which you can export but it will give you an idea of how the component actually works, so you will have to set up your own set of constraints and parameters to create a component that behaves the way you want.