Bricscad on macOS 11 Big Sur

For me it looks like that Bricscad V19 or V20 don't work on Big Sur.

It opens,
but when I load a File I just see the cursor only but no 3D View from file ...
Will we get an Update or Betas soon ?

Comments

• Interesting.
    Meanwhile a few macOS 11 Big Sur Betas further,
    V20 works well again.

• Just updated to Big Sur this morning, and display rendering isn't functioning reliably on my machine. There seems to be a bug with hardware accelerated rendering failing. But switching to 2dwireframe and then back to whatever 3d shademode I want seems to temporarily fix it.

• I still try to download (official) Big Sur which was broken yesterday.
    Seems today it might work.
    Will test later.

• I'm using Bricscad Pro 18 and the software simply doesn't start. Is there anything I should do?

After several months of beta releases I wasn't expecting this problem..

• For me it was a back and forth with each Big Sur Beta Update.

At one point I thought that when you update Big Sur beta over an existing Bricscad,
    it could get damaged,
    while when you install a Bricscad Update over an existing Big Sur Beta, it may more
    likely run fine again.
    But I am not sure.

Just for fun I tested V19 on Big Sur official,
    Seems like it starts but freezes when trying to open a file also.

But V20 seems to work fine so far.

• I raised a bug report with the devs yesterday, as on my system V18, and V19 both don't launch, and V20 has intermittent display rendering issues with hardware acceleration/3D shade modes. Hopefully they'll get a fix out soon.

• I raised a support request too, let's wait for response/suggest. I'm currently unable to work with this situation.

• I raised a support request too, let's wait for response/suggest.

Uh, that is a difficult one.
    Let's hope it is just a small thing they could do without much effort.

• @CBE said:
    I raised a bug report with the devs yesterday, as on my system V18, and V19 both don't launch, and V20 has intermittent display rendering issues with hardware acceleration/3D shade modes. Hopefully they'll get a fix out soon.

Received answer this morning.. On Macs, V18 and V19 won't be supported from Big Sur.
    The suggest received is to maintain Catalina or upgrade Bricscad to V20 or V21(<--- this seems not announced yet).

For V20 there is an update release (V20.2.11) that will fix the current issues.

• Yes, so far the last V20 looks ok on Big Sur.

As for V18+19,
    that was to expect.
    The code is in development. If you fix a Big Sur issue in latest version,
    it is based on the latest code. If you would simply drag the fix over into
    V18 that could break V18.
    Beside the effort vs gain.

• Currently running V20.2.9 (and V21.1.05 Beta) on Catalina on a 2018 i9 32 GB ram 15" MBP and tried to install the V20.2.11 update yesterday but was told that it was not "signed" so I assume that that the V20.2.11 update is for Big Sur only. That ties in with the posts above.
    As an aside, I have got Communicator running on V20 but the Mac version for V21 is not yet available (Windows only at this point) - assume it will become available when V21 moves from Beta to the production version.

• Michael Mayer
    edited November 2020

No that is normal.
    (Just like with Blender)
    You can install all Apps on macOS, even non signed,
    but you need to open everything by right mouse click and "open".
    If you just double click in Finder macSO will reject, to prevent
    unexperienced users from accidentally install Malware.

That is the only way to get another Open Dialog.
    Maybe even the Zip file. So to be sure,

• in Finder, DMG file - RMB Open
    • if there is a App .pkg Installer in the DMG Window - RMB Open
      (if there is an *.app to drag, just darg it to Applications Folder but maybe Adim password needed)

• and maybe even when starting the App - RMB open, for the first time.

V20.2.11, so far, seems to run fine on Big Sur.

• I didn't explain the message I got when I tried to install V20.2.11.dmg properly. As I have a fingerprint reader I normally do not even have to enter my password to get permission when installing software.
    The message was “BricsCAD-V20.2.11-en_US.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."
    So I could not even get to the point of installing anything.
    As I am running Catalina I strongly suspect it will not allow me to install this version as it is only compatible with Metal (?)in Big Sur and not with the shaders etc in Catalina. But I could be wrong of course. I am still running V20.2.09 quite happily so I am not that affected. Until I upgrade to Big Sur of course. Good to know some people are able to run it on both Inter and Apple Silicon. Normally only upgrade the OS once I have seen what other people are experiencing.

• I suppose it helps to read the release notes when running Catalina ! Installed V20.2.11 quite easily when I did !

• I upgraded my MAC to Big Sur V11.0.1 today and downloaded Bricscad V20.2.11 and received the same "Apple cannot check for malicious software" message as Mike Kramer did above when I tried to install it (unsuccessfully). How do I solve this issue so I can use Bricscad again? From other posts, I understand there may be a V21 beta available to use...or is there some other/better way to proceed? I reviewed Michael Mayer's suggested methods for installing above but I'm not sure how to open the installer in this manner. Thank you.

• Hello William,

We could not notarize BricsCAD V20. (notarize, meaning: upload to Apple's notarization server for automatic checking and registration) As it happens, the fbxsdk library that comes with BricsCAD V20 was too old to be accepted for notarization, and we could not upgrade this library in time.
    As a result, on installation and on first run of BricsCAD V20, it is required to give explicit permission, as described here: https://help.bricsys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012663100-Is-BricsCAD-v20-supported-on-macOS-10-15-Catalina-

This problem no longer exists in BricsCAD V21. We upgraded the fbxsdk library and BricsCAD V21.1.05 BETA was notarized successfully. It is something that must be repeated for every version - quite tedious, but so it goes... normally all upcoming BricsCAD V21 versions will be notarized before publishing.

If you want beta access, please enter a support request to request it. With beta access you could try the V21.1.05 BETA version and future beta versions.

(recycled from previous post

• BTW,
    Yesterday came Apples 11.1 Update.
    (No changes regarding V21.1.05 Beta though)

As a result, on installation and on first run of BricsCAD V20, it is required to give explicit permission, as described here: https://help.bricsys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012663100-Is-BricsCAD-v20-supported-on-macOS-10-15-Catalina-

Yes, that global, non-default setting, in Security, is needed too.

And for every action while installing,
    as just double clicking works different,
    you should explicitly open any file by right mouse click option menu "open".
    Like the DMG, the PKG, ...

This way Apple will accept that you want to explicitly open and install such a non-Store App
    and will bring their Warning Messages, where you need to express your will another time.

• Thanks Tijs and Michael. I filed a support request and will try V21 as soon as I am granted access.

• V21 for Mac (Release version, not the Beta) arrived this evening, installed and running correctly on Catalina.

Also V21 Communicator for Mac which does not come out in a beta version. Quite tricky to get running, but I have put the Communicator App in the Library files and pointed to it in the settings but not got it working yet. Will try again in the morning. Got Communicator working in V20 by the way. I understand I am the only person in New Zealand that has it running on a Mac.

• Quite tricky to get running

There is no Communicator(Mac) installer yet, but the default CommunicatorPath and the instructions in Install.txt are kept as simple as possible.

This is the default value of CommunicatorPath:
    "/Library/Application Support/BricsCAD Communicator V21.app/"
    If the app bundle is in that location, the default value should do.

If you use a custom installation path, or CommunicatorPath was edited, it can be tricky to set up CommunicatorPath correctly. I think the pending slash in CommunicatorPath is required. BricsCAD runtime treats this path as a directory and directly addresses the binaries inside it, rather than addressing the app bundle as a whole. An app bundle is indeed a directory, with an agreed upon structure/contents.

Another hurdle is getting macOS to accept the communicator as a trusted app bundle. Normally on first run of BricsCAD after installing communicator a message box pops up. After that, it should be possible to choose "Open anyway" in the macOS security settings. Nothing will visibly open. macOS does launch the app, but lacking arguments it exits immediately. In the process, the permission should be granted. After that BricsCAD can use the bundle for import/export. Not so difficult, but not trivial to discover alright. The .app bundle structure is required to be able to accept the entire bundle - without the .app bundle, permission had to be given for every individual binary.

In BricsCAD, COMMUNICATORINFO reports in detail whether or not Communicator is setup properly. Among others, it mentions whether Communicator was found and whether a license was found. It helps a lot to pinpoint the cause if you ended up with a broken configuration.

If you need further troubleshooting, please have a look at Install.txt, or enter a support request.

• Just updated to V21 to see if it resolved a graphics bug that still affects V20 for me (even though an earlier iteration of this bug seems to be much less prevalent).

This occurs when I work in 3D shade modes (Hidden, Shaded w/ Edges, etc) in model space, and then switch to a layout that also has a 3D shade mode viewport. If I select and then mouse over a grip for any layout geometry (lines, viewports, etc) the display blanks to grey until I switch to 2D wireframe either in model space or in the layout (in order to switch the viewport to 2D wireframe, I have to go back to the model space tab, then back to the layout to get the display to work again). This bug also manifests if I switch from the properties palette to the layer palette, strangely. As long as either model space, or the layout in question, is in 2D wireframe, this bug doesn't happen.

It's relatively easy to work around the bug, so it's not stopping my work, but it is occasionally frustrating when I forget to avoid the conditions that cause it.

• Thanks Tijs and Mike (Kramer). I appreciate the notice about V21 being available now. I installed it today on Big Sur without any problems and I look forward to exploring it!

• Here too.
    So far V21 on Big Sur Intel looks great.

(Of course "Lock Horizon" for 3DConnexion 3D devices got lost again - I get ill)

• Seems to work well for me also, one odd issue is it seems to open up in an older format before eventually switching over the ribbon interface.

• Thanks Tijs,
    All I had to do was restart V21 to get the settings to link to the correct place where I had placed the Communicator App.
    I only saw the V21 update come in after 10 pm NZ time and downloaded and tried to install Communicator at about 11:00 pm. When it did not run on first try I decided to try the next day as I had been up since 5:00 am - after sending my post.

• @EdwardC said:
    Seems to work well for me also, one odd issue is it seems to open up in an older format before eventually switching over the ribbon interface.

Here too.
    Not the way as it does open on Windows.

• Not at all, > @Michael Mayer said:

@EdwardC said:
    Seems to work well for me also, one odd issue is it seems to open up in an older format before eventually switching over the ribbon interface.

Here too.
    Not the way as it does open on Windows.

Yes, not at all. The Windows version seems to be much better. I do like the fact the the Mac version has the ribbon and is almost identical to the Windows version. Unlike ACad or ARES .

• Yesterday BricsCAD V21 crashed several times while trying to generate sections (plans) from the model I'm working on. After one of the crashes I could no longer open more than one file at one time (every time I open a file it closes a drawing I already have open). I realize this may need to be a different topic, but I'm wondering if there's a setting that might have changed. I completely shut my computer down but the problem persists upon turning it back on.

• I was mistaken in regards to my last post...it appears I can still open several drawings at one time, but the display panel (forgot the name) which shows all open drawings does not appear in BricsCAD now. Looking for the setting...