Moving 2D and 3D objects

I'm new to BricsCad (coming from Vectorworks), so excuse my ignorance.

I realize there is Move command, but what I was looking for was a more elegant means to precisely move and align objects.

Is there an attributes panel that when an entity is selected I can modify that entities properties and position?

Also, when moving something like a square or rectangle it seems that I am limited to one of the corners. It would be useful if I could move it based on its center.

Comments

• ALANH
    edited February 2021

Look into Osnap and Shift+right button mouse.

You can create your own snaps using lisp.

For you Move, select, m2p it will ask for 2points and use midpoint.

Trying to remember there is a Graphical centre snap for plines. Found it, Move, select-pline etc, "Gcen", pick again, drag

• Please have a look at the Manipulator to move, rotate, mirror (with or without copy) entities precisely.
    See https://help.bricsys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006429914-Manipulator

• ALIGN and 3DALIGN?

• Michael Mayer
    edited February 2021

@Loren said:
    I'm new to BricsCad (coming from Vectorworks).

Autocad or Bricscad works quite different in many aspects.

I realize there is Move command, but what I was looking for was a more elegant means to precisely move and align objects.

There quite a few Options to achieve that. As mentioned,
    the "Manipulator, similar to that 3D Gizmo that you are used from VW's SubDivision objects.
    Or dynamic Grid (?, or similar name) which will offer a virtual dynamic Grid, depending on zoom level
    or view scale. This will work precise, even without need of numerical input.
    Then there is the option to select 2 elements and a dynamic Dimension (DYNDIM) will appear that
    will show the distance between the nearest Faces/Edges/Vertecis of both.
    When you edit that numeric Value, it will automatically move the 2nd (!?) selected object to the new distance.

And maybe a few more options.
    But I think I mainly use the Move Tool or Manipulator
    (which will appear automatically when you click a bit longer when selecting)

Is there an attributes panel that when an entity is selected I can modify that entities properties and position?

This is Vectorworks, Illustrator, Cinema4D, Modo, Blender, ... only.
    There are a few objects where you can change coordinates in "OIP", Properties Palette in Bricscad.
    I think it works mainly for simple Lines.
    I think for Polylines, you would need to enter positions for each vertex separately (?)

And, a Rectangle in Bricscad is only a Rectangle as long as you create it, afterwards it is just a simple
    closed Polyline Object (or Entity in Bricscad). Remember when trying to change "Rectangle's" Dimensions
    in Subobject Mode.
    Or 2D Objects can have no Fill.
    You have to apply a Hatch, which is a separate new Object.
    Or 2D Objects like Polylines will not finish nor close when you set your last click on the start vertex,
    nor will it stop to create more redundant vertex points when you further click on the same point.

Also, when moving something like a square or rectangle it seems that I am limited to one of the corners. It would be useful if I could move it based on its center.

In Vectorworks, you mainly make use of the "Endpoint Snap" option and it is the Object that provides
    all kind of those snapping points.
    In Bricscad, Objects, ahm Items, ahm no, Entities ...., are mainly dumb and basic.
    It is the Function of the special Snapping Option, that calculates those snapping points on the fly.

• Thank you, all!

This is a definitely a learning experience (coming from Vectorworks), but BricsCAD is so powerful.

• In v14, BricsCAD, the center snap will work for rectangles.

-Joe

• Michael Mayer
    edited February 2021

In later versions too.

• Geometric Center (GCenter) and Center are different Entity Snaps: GCenter applies to closed polylines, Center applies to circles, ellipses and (elliptical) arcs. When multiple esnaps apply to the entity under the cursor, repeatedly press the TAB key to cycle all possibilities. Do NOT move the cursor when cycling esnaps.

• In v14, just the regular Center snap will snap to the geometric center of a rectangular polyline. Though, not any other sort of shape.

-Joe