Shortcuts

I have been using BricsCAD for about 5 years now. When I started, I used to click on icons to activate commands, but as the amount of work increased, I started to use keyboard shortcuts. I realize there are separate keyboards that can be programmed as macro keys to activate commands, but they are too expensive. I got an idea to make my own using Auto Hot Key, but it would take too much time to learn how to code (I am not a programmer myself). Next idea was to use aText for the same job. I mapped some keys on the keyboard to write the shortcut automatically, and the next step is to make stickers for my keyboard so I don't have to remember which is which. I ran into a problem - I can't find command thumbnails anywhere. Can you help me with that? Or does any of you guys here have a better idea?

Comments

• I have a few very commonly-used commands assigned to function keys (Save, CopyClip, Paste, Rotate90, Make Selected Object's Layer Active, Turn Off All Layers Except Active, etc). I do that with Macro Express (which I've been using for 20 years or more, but I think the Keyboard tab of Bricscad's Customize panel can do all that now).

But mostly I use short Aliases for commands (assigned by the Command Aliases tab of the Customize panel):
    LL = Line, PP = Pline, RR = Rectangle, RD = Rectangle by Dimensions, CC = Circle, DD = Dimension, EE = Ellipse, TT = Text,
    L = Layer, P = Pan, R = Rotate Relative, C = Copy, D = Divide, E = Extend, T = Trim, etc.

I just checked and found I have 125 aliases assigned. I can't remember them all, but I added a pull-down menu for commands that I normally don't use much but from time to time use enough to make an alias worthwhile.

I use alt-key combinations only for things that I rarely use, like Osnap settings/overrides. The most commonly-used one is alt-X for PER.

• ALANH
    edited April 2021

Your not limited to alpha if using lisp defuns as shortcuts can be just 47 which for me is osmode 47, all on 99 etc. zzz is a easy one.

If had say a few text defuns maybe t1 t2.

Make your own pop up menus with the commands you want grouped in one menu. I have CIV3D also and have a menu that when I am using the drafting workspace still allows access to CIV3d commands I want without changing workspace.

• I agree about using numbers in aliases. I use 1 through 7 as aliases for custom commands that assign colors 1 through 7 and their associated lineweights to the selection set, and Q1 through Q7 as aliases for custom commands that filter the selection set for objects with those colors.