Linux usage

2»

Comments

• Michael Mayer
    edited April 2021

Well, there are still features missing in macOS and Linux version
    that are really important to me like Revit Import or Datasmith Export.
    Also I have still large problems with GUI customization on Mac and Linux.

For me Bricscad Windows feels like a normal App while macOS, less for
    Linux, feels like in a constant Beta cycle.
    Usable in production as earliest at a dot 2 release.

But have to admit that I have unexpectedly lots of crashes, or Bricscad just
    disappearing from screen, mostly without creating DMP or Crash files,
    with Windows V21.2.01 than I was ever used before.

But it is great to see that Bricscad Linux works so well for some users.
    If there would not be a new future for Apple as a valid 3D platform since
    release of its promising ARM architecture with the first M1 models,
    I would rather go to Linux with all its limitations vs Windows with its
    still existing legacy problems behind a pretty surface and its obtrusive
    Telemetry.

• Thanks Rolf. My issue is that I bought this huge Windows workstation to learn CAD for a research project I'm working on, so I'm just a bit cautious of wiping everything on a brand new machine and starting from scratch in Linux, even though I use Mint 20 for everything else in the office. I guess the only way to find out is to try it, but its a bit of a risk given where I am. I haven't had any Bricscad crashes, but it does seem a bit erratic - eg reporting blue lines as being red. I am finding it a real struggle to learn, but think it will pay off in the long term.

• @Michael Mayer said:

But have to admit that I have unexpectedly lots of crashes, or Bricscad just
    disappearing from screen, mostly without creating DMP or Crash files,
    with Windows V21.2.01 than I was ever used before.

I too am getting random shutdowns without warnings, 2 or 3 times an hour in some cases. So I contacted support and they suggested creating a new user profile, which I tried but it didn't seem to work.

• Bricscad Windows instability could also have to do with my current project files.
    But AFAIK I have all inconsistencies I could sort out already filed as Service Requests.
    So it should get better with next releases.

• Tha> @rolfpaloheimo said:

@andrewhockley said:
    I know this is an old thread, I'm just wondering how BricsCAD is shaping up under Linux in 2021. I'm learning to use it under Windows, but use Linux for everything else, so would make sense to swap over at some point. Any recent experiences?

I use Bricscad BIM under ubuntu, I tried switching to windows Bricscad on my dual boot machine, I didn't find the difference worth running it in Windows full time since I don't know windows. As far as crashes go, they seemed to be the same, crashing when there are a lot of interferences in the model.

Cheers,

Thanks Rolf, thats helpful. I'll try it under Linux and see how it goes.

• @Michael Mayer said:

I would rather go to Linux with all its limitations vs Windows with its
    still existing legacy problems behind a pretty surface and its obtrusive
    Telemetry.

I like not dealing with Windows "calling home and upgrading" without me knowing. Linux's SDK and software management is just great. The online Linux documentation is excellent. Linux open source is very nice when you want to modify or learn source code. The business model of selling support instead of code is interesting. Allowing global access to code and global security and awareness has some merit. There are some huge advantages to Linux imho.