grasshopper plug in no longer working

it is not possible to create linear solids to bake onto bricsys via gh anymore since the latest release of rhino and bricsys.

someone really needs to audit and check this plug-in everytime a new version is released, or provide source code so it can be recompiled against
new versions

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with our Grasshopper connector. However, we were not able to reproduce this behavior.
    Could you provide us with more details? (BricsCAD version, Rhino version, Grasshopper connector version and/or particular files that are posing problems)
    Thanks!
    Best regards,
    Ruben

• tslewis71
    edited May 2021

I also used your example and it still doesn't work and i get the same error for adding the beam element to bricsys of "1. A referenced Element could not be found in the BricsCAD document." See image below.

SO I THINNK I HAVE TO SELECT THESE COMPONENST AND THEN MANUALLY TEL THEM TO BE BAKED. I THOUGHT YOU COULD PREVIEW THEM IN BRICSYS AND DIDNT HAVE TO BAKE THEM. Is this correct?

There is no preview geometry in bricsys for the beams, this doesn't appear correct

Rhino (7.6.21124.9001, 2021-05-04)
    Bricsys Ultimate Version 21.2.04 (x64) revision d2a89517
    GH Version May 4 20201.09.00 Build 1.0.0007

• Hi,

The Baking components don't show a preview in themselves. You can only preview the geometry you're sending to the Baking component.

For Linear Solids, there are two ways of baking them:
    1. Use a curve as input geometry, and assign a Profile to the Baking component. (Disadvantages: you cannot preview the Linear Solids + you don't have control over the axis angle of the profiles (i.e. ration of profiles along the axis)) This is comparable to drag-and-dropping a component in BricsCAD onto a line.
    2. Create the Linear Solid geometry in Grasshopper first, and use this geometry as input for the Baking component. (Here you can preview the geometry first + you can control it's axis angle)

See an example with the two approaches.

The message "1. A referenced Element could not be found in the BricsCAD document." shows up as long as you haven't baked the component to BricsCAD. The Baking component gives as output the entities that are baken into BricsCAD. So as long as there are no baked entities, it cannot give an output, hence the message.

Do you still get this message after baking?

Best regards,
    Ruben

• Hi,

Here is the Grasshopper script with the example.

Best regards,
    Ruben

• @RubenDBricsys said:
    Hi,

The Baking components don't show a preview in themselves. You can only preview the geometry you're sending to the Baking component.

For Linear Solids, there are two ways of baking them:
    1. Use a curve as input geometry, and assign a Profile to the Baking component. (Disadvantages: you cannot preview the Linear Solids + you don't have control over the axis angle of the profiles (i.e. ration of profiles along the axis)) This is comparable to drag-and-dropping a component in BricsCAD onto a line.
    2. Create the Linear Solid geometry in Grasshopper first, and use this geometry as input for the Baking component. (Here you can preview the geometry first + you can control it's axis angle)

See an example with the two approaches.

The message "1. A referenced Element could not be found in the BricsCAD document." shows up as long as you haven't baked the component to BricsCAD. The Baking component gives as output the entities that are baken into BricsCAD. So as long as there are no baked entities, it cannot give an output, hence the message.

Do you still get this message after baking?

Best regards,
    Ruben

Ruben understood. Personally i think there are a few major disadvantage with the plug in

1. Unable to preview the BimBEAM objects in Bricsys BIM before I bake them. Having ti manually bake something to check to see if it is coordinated in Bricsys first is a major bottle neck in work flow
    2. Having to manually bake the objects instead of maybe allowing for the component or a single component to auto bake the objects is another major bottle neck. If i have a large structure with multiple objects, having to individually select BimObject components and bake them one by one, and manually select the layer first is a big bottle neck.
    3. Are you making the source code available via github or similar?
    4. What is the future development of the plug in, i havent seen any progress for a while.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Unable to preview the BimBEAM objects in Bricsys BIM before I bake them. Having ti manually bake something to check to see if it is coordinated in Bricsys first is a major bottle neck in work flow

I understand. We'll investigate whether we could provide previews for Linear Solids based on curves.
    For now, a preview can only be generated using the method #2 I mentioned above.

1. Having to manually bake the objects instead of maybe allowing for the component or a single component to auto bake the objects is another major bottle neck. If i have a large structure with multiple objects, having to individually select BimObject components and bake them one by one, and manually select the layer first is a big bottle neck.

You can bake multiple components at once by selecting the Bake Geometry or Bake Building Elements and clicking the Bake icon in the bar (see image)

If you want to bake everything at once: press Ctrl+A to select everything in Grasshopper, and click that Bake icon.

1. Are you making the source code available via github or similar?

The sourcecode is available here: https://github.com/Bricsys/rhino.inside-bricscad

1. What is the future development of the plug in, i havent seen any progress for a while.

We are preparing for a new release of the plug-in in the near future.

Let me know if you have more questions or remarks.

Best regards,
    Ruben

• selecting all components to bake manually is still a bottleneck.

I wpuld want to auto assign differnt layer attributes when I bake for instance.

it shouldn't be hard to add a flag to auto bake a component to bricscad if true and a grasshopper solution has run.

I'll have a look at the source code.