Make External Reference not selectable

Hi,

I've put abig drawing as external reference in the backgroud of my drawing. Is it possible, that this external drawing is treated like a canvas? I.e. the object is not highlighted or selectable when the mouse moves over it?

Thank you.

Comments

• One possible way would be to import it as a raster image?

• @sbcad said:
    the object is not highlighted or selectable when the mouse moves over it?

I don't really get why Bricscad does not have such options.
    And I don't get why Entities on "locked" Layers get highlighted or selected.
    Or why there is no "Layer Lock" that prevents everything from selecting
    except on Active Layer.

Similar options for Visibilities, for temporarily fast switching.

I never - did NOT have - such features in any other CAD I worked with
    in the past.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I don't really get why Bricscad does not have such options.
    And I don't get why Entities on "locked" Layers get highlighted or selected.
    Or why there is no "Layer Lock" that prevents everything from selecting
    except on Active Layer.

Similar options for Visibilities, for temporarily fast switching.

I never - did NOT have - such features in any other CAD I worked with
    in the past.

Yes! Such options are sorely lacking.

I rarely bother with locking layers because of these shortcomings. Pdfs and rasters can still interfere with drafting even when inserted on a locked layer, as it still annoyingly snaps to the insertion point of the image (unless I remember to adjust osmode, which I regularly keep at +64 to select block insertion points). A common instance is when working over a scanned underlay, when snap ignores the cursor and jumps instead to the insertion point off screen.

[Related requests are to enable pdf underlays to display in 3D visual styles... that would save time with BIM, and a selection lock quick toggle like the spacebar in old 3dsmax, as we've discussed before: https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/35578.]

• @Walter Vardanega said:
    One possible way would be to import it as a raster image?

I forgot to mention that if you press F3 snapping is toggled on/off.

• Hi,

try this:

• keep the XREF on a locked layer
    • use PREVIEWFILTER - bit 2 - in order to remove highlight for XREFs
    • use XDWGFADECTL in order to control the fading level

If you want to also avoid OSNAP-ing to the XREF entities, then either disable entity snap (F3 key) or export the XREF as an image then attach it to your drawing using IMAGEATTACH command

• One possible way would be to import it as a raster image?

My problem is, when i selecting entity, i keep selecting the external reference drawing. so when external reference drawing is selected, my pc got jam for about 30second. if i keep selecting it, it will waste of time.

I already make a specific layer for that external reference, and i already adjust the fade and keep it lock all the time.
    but still when do selection of entity and that external references keep getting selected it will jam.
    my pc not the problem, already in high spec. i can freeze and unfreeze but it take time to load also. but what is the point having a reference but hidden.

if the solution is to change into raster image, but the things is, dwg file cannot change to raster image type of references.

hopefully this will have a solution. my version of Bricscad Pro V20.
  • If you have to send dwg to some one look at pasting an image so it becomes a OLE object and will live in the dwg.

Just make an image of the XREF open in say Paint then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C this copies the image to clipboard, in Bricscad Ctrl+V will paste image, use align to scale correctly. We used to do aerial images this way.

You may need to plot to pdf then convert to say PNG. As no direct plot to PNG.

• You can disable the selection highlight altogether by turning HIGHLIGHT off and setting PREVIEWFILTER to 2. Selected objects still have visible grips, and unlocked layers still have highlight on hover. Does this solve your issue?
  • ahtenk05 said:

....My problem is, when i selecting entity, i keep selecting the external reference drawing. so when external reference drawing is selected, my pc got jam for about 30second. ....

I have that problem when the xref'd file is on another computer, and/or when it has attached images or xref's of its own but those other attached files no longer exist or can't be found. I assume the delay is caused by my computer searching for those missing files. When I clean up the xref, the delay problem stops.
  • ahtenk05 said:

....My problem is, when i selecting entity, i keep selecting the external reference drawing. so when external reference drawing is selected, my pc got jam for about 30second. ....

I have that problem when the xref'd file is on another computer, and/or when it has attached images or xref's of its own but those other attached files no longer exist or can't be found. I assume the delay is caused by my computer searching for those missing files. When I clean up the xref, the delay problem stops.
    so that mean, bricscad cannot work with xref if all file is store if one server?