Slicing Dilema

It was so easy in Autocad.
I might be missing something obvious but why cant i slice this frame by selecting it and the using a surface to slice it? TYIA

Comments

• It is completely unexpected (also in BricsCAD) that slicing such simple geometry should throw an error.
    But maybe your geometry is not as simple as it seems? Remember that the slice command uses an infinite plane (even if you select a face), that could intersect your solid more than once. I would run (DM)AUDIT and if that does not clear the problem, post the file here or open a SR directly.

• I agree totally unexpected. As for an infinite plane this was not the case with Autocad, am i to understand this function is not available on Brics? i mean the option to use a surface is there. There are various circumstances that would call for a slice to be precise and not always have to slice the whole model. If i draw a square tubed frame and only want to slice one side of it, that's not possible?? wow

• Can't see if the whole geometry is a single Element in a circle and
    cutting through one side would result in both ends touching in a
    coplanar fashion that Bricscad may don't like or such things.
    But I would file a Support Request to clarify.
    If it it is just a Bug it will be fixed.

• This is the results after a DMAUDIT Fix.
    Ok thanks i will contact my Rep.

• Haha. Congratulations! You actually found a bug that no one noticed. No solid can be cut by any region. This does not work. You must first call ConvToSurface to convert the region to a surface. This is a mistake of the BricsCAD programmers and must be reported to the developers. I think there will be no problem to fix this problem. Will you file a bug report? Or I can do this.

• In fairness, it should be noted that AutoCAD behaves exactly the same way. The solid cannot be cut by the region. You must create a surface. And you can't cut your frame in one place. It is required to cut completely so that some part of the frame is separated. You are trying to make a zero-thickness slot in a part of the frame. It's impossible. But you can subtract a solid that looks like your cutting plane but has at least some minimum thickness.

• And I also noticed that AutoCAD cannot convert a region to a surface. And bricsCAD did it.

• CADXYZ
    edited September 2021

Yes please file the report I might have missed something. As for the conversion process "ConvToSurface", bricsys will not let me convert it because it was primarily extruded as a surface, in essence giving me another error ( See attachment). From experience using autocad I know not to use a region to slice which leads me to believe the incident is most likely specific to me. Maybe I should re-install?

• The problem i am having is as follows:
    I am trying to cut a 2D region into separate rectangles, but Bricscad tells me I 'can't slice a region', so I use a clumsy (and inaccurate) device - I create a region 1 mm wide and then subtract it from the region I want to cut. On exploding the result I almost achieve the effect I want - with the obvious limitation of accuracy The Interfere command can be coaxed into doing something by copying duplicates but this is very cumbersome.
    What is the problem with Slice?
  • Just as in real life, you can't get a zero thickness cutting blade/wheel.
    Just cut using a 1mm solid and close the gap later.
    Years ago Konstantin Sakalaris wrote a lisp or .dll routine called SWEEPX, LOFTX, SSBS (SliceSolidBySurface)
    and made it available on this site. you can search for it above just type 'sweepx'
    Norb