Suddenly unable to select XLINE

I've been away from this forum for a while due to a business slowdown and health problems.... Perhaps in that time I forgot how to use BricsCAD! Last Friday I tried to edit one of my paper space templates. I applied a horizontal XLINE intending to run the OFFSET command on it. But after I placed the xline, I could not re-select it with my mouse. I restarted the program, but that didn't help. I restarted my computer. That didn't help either. I was finally able to select the xline with CTRL-A and a filter. I filed an SR with Bricsys support, but the problem cleared on it's own before they could get back to me. Today I found a reply from the support group. they suggested I had had a viewport active when I encountered the problem. So I downloaded the file I previously uploaded to the support group, to test that theory. It doesn't matter. I CANNOT select the xline unless I use CTRL-A and a filter. I have vision problems, but I don't think that is what is going on here. I can select xlines in model space.

Comments

• Works for me if you doubleclick in the viewport

• Thanks for your reply. If you double click in the viewport, you're in contact with model space. I'm trying to select and offset the red XLINES in paper space.

• I can select your red Xline, no prob - I also do that all the time. But - strange - your viewport identifies as a Polyline in Properties - not as a Viewport - I wonder if you've created a not-quite viewport that doesn't behave reliably.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited September 2021

Jim: I had no trouble selecting any or all of the 9 xlines inside the viewport. Are you sure you were in the viewport?

Tom: There's a rectangular pline on top of the viewport, and the viewport itself is on a locked and hidden layer.

• I've been saying from the beginning that the red, horizontal xline is in paperspace. It is attached to the upper left corner of the drawing border (NOTES layer). The viewport IS a polyline, and is turned off. All my templates have the viewport on a locked, turned off layer. I can place XLINES in model space and select them ok. What I'm having problems with, is selecting the xline, which I placed in PAPERSPACE.

• Sorry if I sounded testy with that. I'm just frustrated.

• Jim Canale
    edited October 2021

@Tom Foster said:
    I can select your red Xline, no prob - I also do that all the time. But - strange - your viewport identifies as a Polyline in Properties - not as a Viewport - I wonder if you've created a not-quite viewport that doesn't behave reliably.

Thank you for your reply. The _VPORTS command can create a polyline viewport. I've been using polyline viewports for years without any problems.

The problem exists in every drawing I create starting with a particular template. I realize I could re-create the template from scratch, but I wish I could fix whatever corruption is causing this.

• Hi Jim, I would try to switch temporarily to a newly created default user profile (PROFILEMANAGER -> [Create]) to see if the problem is related to user settings.

• I avoid switching user profiles, because I've consistently had problems recovering my user settings after going to a new "default" profile.. It typically takes HOURS to restore my user settings, working from the default. Anyway, I have a half dozen customized templates I use all the time. The problem only occurs when I start with a particular template. The AUDIT command does not detect any problems.