WORKING WITH GROUPS

Is there a way to turn groups off and on? I need to modify some components in the groups, but I don't want to have to ungroup and then regroup. Turning them off and on would be so much less time consuming.

Comments

• Terry Dotson
    edited October 2021

In a sense, yes. Simply turn off the Selectable toggle for the groups you don't want active. When you need them back, turn selectable back on.

You may find this easier to do with the DotSoft Group Manager freeware, which will let you simply click some toggles and a lot more. We will add support for v21 in an hour or so.

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited October 2021

The first bitcode of the PICKSTYLE system variable controls whether groups are selectable. When PICKSTYLE = 0 or 2, groups are not selectable and allows to edit entities in groups. When PICKSTYLE = 1 or 3, groups are selectable.

• I'll have to look into the DotSoft Group manager to see if it will work for me. I haven't heard of it.
    I'm looking for one button that I can select on-the-fly that will turn groups off and on, like that other CAD program has.
    Having to open up the groups dialog and find the particular group that I need to modify and turn it off, then edit the part, then open the dialog box and find the particular group and turn it back on... that's a huge waste of time.
    What else does the PICKSTYLE system variable turn off and on?

• How could I create a button that would toggle the PICKSTYLE system variable from 1 to 0, then back from 0 to 1?

• Terry Dotson
    edited October 2021

From your post I was under the assumption you wanted to disable some while leaving others on, since you want ALL, the variable toggle is the way to go.

In BricsCAD, press Ctrl+H to toggle, quicker than a button!

• Crtl+H! That's exactly what I needed, and would have never have just stumbled upon that one.
    Thank you.

• Why not make just an Editing Mode like Block Edit ...
    Double click on a Group to open Group Editor.

(Why does Block Editor open a List of Blocks first, to ask
    for confirmation that I want to edit exactly that Block that
    I already selected or hovered over !?
    Or even sometimes not even find and highlight my selected
    Block in the list and I have to scroll through the list or even
    watch all Thumbnails to find my Block ?
    Or why can't I enter a nested Block while I am in Block Edit ???)

So far I thought Autocad has no considerable "Group" system.
    I always thought Groups are just a saved Selection Set ....

• @Terry Dotson said:
    From your post I was under the assumption you wanted to disable some while leaving others on, since you want ALL, the variable toggle is the way to go.

In BricsCAD, press Ctrl+H to toggle, quicker than a button!

Terry Dotson, I don't necessarily need to disable all, it has just always been easier to turn off the feature when I needed to edit a component in a particular group. I think Michael Mayer's idea to have a "group edit" feature would be outstanding.

And, like Michael, I think when you double-click on a block (or group) the program should know that is exactly what you want to work on.