Cap an open surface

Hallo
in many instances we receive bad geometry with many open polysurfaces missing one or more planes to be closed.
This is crucial because unless they are closed 3D solids they will not be recognized by BLOCKIFY.

Is there a command (similar to Rhino "CAP") which closes a polysurface by creating the missing cap on a surface ?

thanks

Luca

Comments

• AFAIK there is no cap hole feature in Bricscad.

My problem is when I get in geometry from other Apps, where somehow
    former Solids end as 3D Faces.
    If the former Solids touched each other, there is no way to Stitch them Back to Solids ...
    (Select 3D Faces > Create Region (check your active Layer before !!!) > Select only "related" Regions > Stich)
    as you are not able in any way to just select only one of the touching 3D Faces of 2 touching Volumes,
    without also selecting the other unrelated (coplanar) 3D Face of the other Volume ....

So this, like your issue, would be a Task for Bricscad's AI developers, if ever applicable ...
  • Thanks Michael

As of now the only solution I have is to simply to go back to rhino , cap the surfaces to solid and bring back the required layer to bimify.

It’s actually strange that bimify does not detect surfaces only lines and 3d solids. Wonder why is that. A component may be built around a surface. Maybe it’s just future implementation.

Thanks again !

Regards

Luca
  • I didn't even knew BIMIFY detects Lines .... (for Building Grids and such ?)

But no (closed) Polylines or 3D Faces ?

Usually a Surface exploded, for me gives 3d Faces.
    Which you can use to create Regions from them, which are ACIS "Solids".
    (Don't know if Regions can be BIM tagged)
    But a single Surface is still something different than a random bunch of
    Regions.

I do not have Rhino, but good to hear that is capable to cap wholes easily.
    I know Cap Holes modifiers only from 3D Mesh Apps like C4D or Modo.
  • Hello Chowluca, Michael,

Great to read this discussion on Blockify capabilities. In my previous role at Bricsys, I developed the first version of the Blockify command. It is a correct observation that surface entities are not supported in Blockify. We didn't do so since BricsCAD has way better 3D solid modeling capabilities than 3D surface modeling capabilities. And because most of the examples we saw, were either 2D entities (like lines, arcs, polylines, hatches, dimensions) - or 3D solids.

I do understand a feature to "close" surfaces to solids would be extremely useful. I also understand it would be not bad if Blockify would support 3D surfaces.

Could both of you assess what would be more useful: a smart "close surface" tool or surface support in Blockify?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!
    Kind regards,
    Wouter
    R&D Team Lead Bricsys
  • Hello Wouter !

> Could both of you assess what would be more useful: a smart "close surface" tool or surface support in Blockify?

Interesting question ...

I personally rarely work with Surfaces. I am interested in real Solids.
    Having Surfaces in Bricscad usually just means the came in by DWG Exports
    from other CAD Apps.
    Like from Vectorworks. But Surfaces do not come in directly as Surfaces.
    I will get them in as 3D Faces.
    This will always happen when I import Solids that consist of more than one
    independent Volume. It will export (or come in/will be recognizes)
    unfortunately as separate 3D Faces only in Bricscad.
    Although Bricscad has such multi Volume Solids too, like when you
    separate a Solid by a Boolean Subtraction.
    But Bricscad has Command to separate such multi Solids into Solids,
    while Vectorworks has not.

So for me Surfaces only appear when I try to stitch such 3D Faces to get
    a clean Solid.
    A simple example would be 4 Walls forming a Space with mitered Joints.
    Walls are Solids. Now add Windows from Corner to Corner for each.
    So each Wall will be separated into 2 Volumes while remaining a single
    Solid.
    So these will come in as 3D Faces in Bricscad.

The problem is, when I drive my usual Stitch workfow.
    - Select 3D Faces
    - create Regions
    - Stitch
    (- Simplify, Audit, ...)
    Stitching will fail and give me a Surface.
    That happens because there are coplanar Faces
    (The touching Faces at the mitered Joints)

As there is no way (!) to select only the Faces of a single Wall,
    because of those coplanar joint faces, before Stitching it results in a Surface.

The only Option ist to manually select all touching coplanar Faces and delete them,
    Stitching will work but will give you a single Solid for all 4 Walls of course.
    (2 Solids in fact in the example, 1 for the upper and 1 for the lower parts of all Walls)
    And finally separating those Solids again along a Face by several steps + rejoining in
    mitered mode .....
    (Or manually select all Wall top Faces (of same height Walls only !) and extrude them
    to create new Solids and try to delete previous resting 3D Faces (withoutaccidentally
    deleting other independent 3D Faces inside a crowded drawing)

And of course I get Surfaces in directly from some Vectorworks BIM Tools/Parts,
    which geometry is really crap from the beginning inside Vectorworks.
    (Stairs, Slabs, Floors and such)

So I would more dream of Tools in Bricscad that could automate such stitching
    processes from separate 3D Faces by recognizing which coplanar Faces could
    likely belong to which potential Solid or not and be able to directly Stitching
    such 3D Face mesh into proper separate Solids.
    (Nice AI development task ?)

TL;DR;
    I think I personally would prefer the "Close (, check, clean and repair) Surfaces"

Of course Blockify recognizing Surfaces would help to at least pack all crap
    in a single Block, which makes manual repair also easier.

But I think my goal would be to to avoid even getting 3D Faces in at all, by
    intelligently recognizing former Solids.
    And if not possible, to improve Stitch Tool to work directly with 3D Faces, by
    automatic conversion to ACIS Regions, and being able to deal with touching
    Faces that were former (touching) Solids

• As far as I interpret Chowluca,

he may be happy with just being able to Blockify crappy geometry.
    But I assume Chowluca wouldn't mind to get cleaner geometry also (?)
  • Hallo Michael
    Hallo Wouter

that is correct - the issue is that throughout the design process we always have to deal with bad geometry (from consultants models, imported blocks from online resources....etc).

Having a "rhino inspired CAP command" would be very useful not only for this instance, but also when dealing with imported incomplete models - in that I agree with Michael

The issue with lockify supporting surfaces is due to expectation of any user for blockify to work with any generic geometry.... but that again may be my personal reading.

Thanks for this

Luca