Lineweight not plotted

When i plot a drawing, all the lines are equal in width, so a red line and a green line are equal when printing. How and where can i chance the default lineweight of colors?, so red is always 0.18mm, unless i change it manualy in the layerbox.

Comments

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited July 2022
    That's a very complicated question. There are many options.

If you want red to always print 0.18mm and green to always print 0.35mm, you can do that with a Plot Style Table. The Page Setup dialog box allows you to choose a Plot Style Table (specified in a .CTB file) for each Layout tab, and it allows you to edit the currently selected table or to create a new one. The table can specify the lineweight at which each color will be printed. It also allows you to print red lines as black if you want, or as any other color you choose. But the important thing to note is that it will print all red (color 1) lines in that Layout tab at the same lineweight and color.

If you want some red lines to print 0.18mm and some red lines in the same layout to print 0.25mm, then you'll have to assign those lineweights as properties of each entity. Lineweight properties of entities can be "ByLayer," if you want to create a separate layer for each lineweight or each color. If you want most red lines to be 0.18mm, you could put them on a layer called, say "18" or "Red," whose layer lineweight is 0.18mm, and then assign "Bylayer" as the lineweight of any entities on that layer that you want printed at 0.18mm. Red lines to be printed at 0.25mm could be on a different layer, called "25" for example. Or they could be on the "18" or "Red" layer but have "0.25mm" instead of "Bylayer" as their lineweight property.

If you want all entities in a Layout tab to print at their assigned color, lineweight, etc, you can select "None" as the Plot Style Table for that Layout tab. Or you could use a Plot Style Table that prints all red lines as black (or any other color you choose) but at a lineweight specified by the entity's properties.

There are also VP properties for each viewport. That allows you to set the color, lineweight, and linetype of all Bylayer entities that are on a particular layer whenever they appear in a particular viewport. In other viewports, even on the same Layout tab, they could have different VP properties.
  • Thanks, that was what i was looking for.
  • Just a quick one we had colors 1-9 as Black 10-256 as real color.

We set the thickness of the 1-9

We also had multiple ctb's depending on plotter and sheet size, making linework a bit bigger on large sheets.
  • ALANH said:

We also had multiple ctb's depending on plotter and sheet size, making linework a bit bigger on large sheets.

Good idea! The lineweights I use are too heavy in the PDF files. But if I thin them down to look good in the PDF file, then the thinnest lines sometimes don't print when the PDF file is printed to paper.

• ALANH
    edited July 2022
    Glad to help.

We had choose output device on a menu so everything was automated 1 click and watch it all come out.

Had Plotrange that way we could do all or just 1 sheet but a single program, 88 layouts big stack of paper.

• Good idea! The lineweights I use are too heavy in the PDF files. But if I thin them down to look good in the PDF file, then the thinnest lines sometimes don't print when the PDF file is printed to paper.

It's a real faff, the difference between what looks good on screen, pdf or other, and what make a good print. The latter varies from print machine to machine, and even that seems to vary from time to time.

• And I don't even own a printer! I just send PDF files to a print shop, or directly to the client. So I don't even know what printer they're going to use, if any.
  • Like Tom what looks good avoid yellow on white paper for line work. very hard to read.

We were civil so Gas and electric underground were always RED they were the only ones that would kill you, water was blue you just got wet. o:)
  • It's lineweights that have v different effect when printed compared with in pdf on-screen. I'd not be surprised at unclarity if printing on yellow paper!