Windowing

Is it possible to window an object without having a several second hesitation?
Concerning BricsCad Lite: I did the 30 day trial and have subscribed to it for 2 years now. All in the sake of saving money, but Bricscad only wishes it could be as good as AUTOCAD. I hate this want to be program. I will not be subscribing again!

Comments

• Hello Planman,
    Which command is not working for you? I have tried looking for a "Window" command in both BricsCAD and AutoCAD (I have both) but I can't find it. Can you tell me what command exactly you are trying to use that way we might be able to help you.

-Robert
  • I think planman61 is missing a "Zoom to Object" in Bricscad.

I also miss it.

I am either used from other Software that there are either
    2 shortcuts or Tools to either fit view for the whole geometry
    or to the selection only.

Or like in my other CAD System, Fit View will automatically,
    if no Selection is active - fit the whole geometry or ...
    if there is an active Selection - fit to selected objects.
    Very predictable
  • Ah, BTW

in higher Bricscad versions like BIM,
    you have a Structure Manager where you can sort Objects in any way you want
    and also granular and comfortable control Visibilities.

But Structure Manager has that feature that you can Option right click
    to Zoom to that object(s).
  • The original poster mentions "window an object without having a several second hesitation". So, the issue is the hesitation.
    It sounds more like a system issue, rather than BricsCAD specific. Or perhaps that BricsCAD takes up more of the computer's resources when doing the same command as AutoCAD.
    To Planman61, perhaps it would help if you could post a screen grab that shows your resources. If you are using Windows, then the Performance tab of the Task Manager. Do this while you have the same drawing open in BricsCAD, that generates the problem. Since this shows a graph, then you could even do this while the graph shows what is happening while you do this "windowing".

-Joe
  • I have been using Bricscad for a few years now working on CIVIL dwgs never had any problems with window select or zoom etc agree with Joe may be a resource problem, pc Ram on real big dwg's becomes a factor.
  • The original problem may be related to the SELECTIONMODES setting.

I think planman61 is missing a "Zoom to Object" in Bricscad.

The Zoom command does have an OBject option.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited August 2022

I think planman61 is missing a "Zoom to Object" in Bricscad.
    I also miss it.

Here's a custom command that instantly zooms to the selection set, just like in VectorWorks.
    If nothing is selected, it zooms to all objects in the tab.

It also de-selects all, so if you inadvertently zoom to a selection set, just press Enter or Space again to zoom all.
    Or, if you have it assigned to the Home key, as I do, just press Home again.

(defun c:ZS () (if (setq ss1 (ssget "_I")) (command "ZOOM" "OBject" ss1 "") (command "ZOOM" "Extents") ) )
  • aridzv
    edited August 2022
    @Anthony Apostolaros
    Hi.
    is there a way to keep those objects selected after zooming to them?...
    I've tried to use ssget with ss1 to select them again but failed...

thanks,
    Ari.

*EDIT:
    I found an old thread of yours with the solution... :)
    (if ss1 (sssetfirst nil ss1))
  • Yes, I always delete that line before posting code here, or at least comment it out. All the commands I normally use terminate with a selection set, but I assume everyone else thinks it's normal to terminate without a selection set.
  • I assume everyone else thinks it's normal to terminate without a selection set.

Nah, it's only what we'd come to tolerate. Thank you for your guidance on retaining selections via lisp. Back to the OP's concern, I have not noticed any hesitation in windowing, certainly nothing close to the slow down of having to manually redo a selection set.

• I fixed my windowing issue with new hardware.
    I'm now having another issue. The custom user interface I setup and saved, doesn't display correctly on starting Bricscad v22. Each time I start Bricscad I have to go to the view tab and select: Ribbon bar and Command bar using the drafting workspace. The workspace I saved and named doesn't display correctly even then. The cui on V21 worked as it should. I downloaded and installed V23 it kept crashing so I reactivated V22. I've looked on Bricscad Youtube videos and Googled for answers but no solution found. Any suggestions?
  • Planman61 said:

.... The custom user interface I setup and saved, doesn't display correctly on starting Bricscad v22. Each time I start Bricscad I have to go to the view tab and select: Ribbon bar and Command bar using the drafting workspace. The workspace I saved and named doesn't display correctly even then. .... I downloaded and installed V23 it kept crashing so I reactivated V22. I've looked on Bricscad Youtube videos and Googled for answers but no solution found. Any suggestions?

You should file a support request, at https://boa.bricsys.com/en-eu/support/. They'll try to replicate it on a system identical to yours. If you're doing something wrong, they'll be able to tell you. If it's a bug in v23 they'll fix it for the next release.