RAL Design in Color Books

Hi to all,
I'm using BricsCAD Pro V22 and I'm trying to use RAL Design colors in the Color Book palletes.
As I found that they didn't exist in the color pallete and get the files from an AutoCAD 2007 installation, but it seem the didn't work becaause every color it's "black" (R 064 G 064 B 064), can anyone help?

Comments

• fs_at12
    edited December 2022
    Hi,
    I have set up the same way, (path from settings)
    for me, everything is working fine, all colours are visible.
    But I have to admit, all the color books I use are “handmade” I spent hours with autocad color book editor, to bring my favourite colors to CAD.
    Your files look like the standard AutoCAD color books, maybe you have to resave them?
    I have opened the RAL file ,you sent, in the editor and all the colors are black,

maybe your files are for another application?
  • designbglx
    edited December 2022
    Thanks for your help. I will edit in ACB Editor.
  • I opened a few of the *.acb files in texteditor.

For me it looks like they "encrypted" the RGB values.
    So instead of e.g. Green 252 ist lists green TLR or such
    3 letter acronyms.

Maybe Autocad 2007 has the key/list to convert these
    when reading the color books.
  • Was surprised to find that the RAL color collections and the RAL color system are protected by copyright, probably the reason these are not included in BricsCad and not readily available as *.acb files on the internet. Created a colorbook from "RAL Classic" RGB values available in Github https://gist.github.com/lunohodov/1995178. These values differ somewhat however from those used in AutoCad. Created a second file where we filtered only those we use most, corrected these to the same values as used in AutoCad and just named those colors after what we use them for like "railing", "supports", "drives", "water" etc etc. The values in AutoCad match those used on "more serious websites" and most important those used by our paint suppliers. We imported the values from Github in a spreadsheet, created the acb texts per color in that sheet and copied the cellvalues to a text editor to create an *.acb file. See also the attached file we received from BricsCad. With that as an example it is easy to create an acb file. Store your file in the location found from the "colorbookpath" command.
  • Was surprised to find that the RAL color collections and the RAL color system are protected by copyright, probably the reason these are not included in BricsCad and not readily available as *.acb files on the internet.

Of course they are.
    E.g. Pantone was once a nice family business.
    As it is, at a point sold to any investment firm and again.
    ("similar" to Bricscad ?)
    And they want to make as much money as possible.
    Which in Adobes case lead to fees where Adobe said this is not more possible within our subscription fees.
    Ending in Adobe cancelling Pantone Support and it Pantone colors now only available for customers that
    buy a Pantone subscription directly from Pantone. Which may not appropriete for many users that embedded
    Pantone Colors into their Images. With the result that, without Pantone Subscription, all older Documents,
    when opened now, will show all Pantone colors in black !?

I was afraid of Vectorworks, offering all RAL, Pantone Color Books, may deprecated them at one time too.
    But it looks like their fees are still reasonable and that is not a problem - for now ?

Created a colorbook from "RAL Classic" RGB values available in Github https://gist.github.com/lunohodov/1995178. These values differ somewhat however from those used in AutoCad. Created a second file where we filtered only those we use most, corrected these to the same values as used in AutoCad and just named those colors after what we use them for like "railing", "supports", "drives", "water" etc etc. The values in AutoCad match those used on "more serious websites" and most important those used by our paint suppliers. We imported the values from Github in a spreadsheet, created the acb texts per color in that sheet and copied the cellvalues to a text editor to create an *.acb file. See also the attached file we received from BricsCad. With that as an example it is easy to create an acb file. Store your file in the location found from the "colorbookpath" command.

Standard CAD users may not be able to do,
    but Bricscad/Autocad seems to have many Lisp, Script, Command Line loving/capable users which
    may be able to import these data.
    I think it is ok to transfer proprietary Color Book RGB Values in Bricscad, but maybe not naming
    them in with e.g. Pantone names and give them away ?

I doubt Bricscad has any priority in Color Palettes going over ACAD compatibility (nor Render Materials)
    but if they get - I hope in the usual Bricscad way - above the mere feature request,
    and offer instead a cool (Adobe Kuler, now Color CC) approach, providing small codet hat will offer
    you some Color Harmony code Tools to define your own color harmonies or colors that will fit best
    to your existing color environment.
    (BTW I installed "Rickrack" for this, but not everyone may feel good to install a free but Chinese Software)

But for the Thread Starters problem,
    I think the Autocad Color Paulette Format is just a bit proprietary Autodesk and just not
    readable for Bricscad - as of now.
    But as total Autocad Compatibility and UI/UX had always priority (Over overall UI/UX - for reasons)
    a simple SR Feature Request would likely bring those ACAD Tables in soon (?)