Point cloud menu and ribbon disappeared

After updating from Bricscad V22 to V23 the Pointclouds menu item and the associated ribbon had disappeared. How do I get them back ? Had to switch back to V22 temporarily.

Comments

• Hi can you please provide some screen shots of V22 and V23 to show what is missing?
  • Type "ribbon"
  • Strange that the Civil Tools do no more appear in BIM workspace.
    Is this new ?

Or a hint thatCivil Tools will sometimes also went in a separate Bricscad version ?
    Would be pity as those are welcome for architects/BIM to, while Mechanical/Sheet Metal
    in Ultimate is usually not that important ....
  • Strange that the Civil Tools do no more appear in BIM workspace.
    Is this new ?

Or a hint thatCivil Tools will sometimes also went in a separate Bricscad version ?
    Would be pity as those are welcome for architects/BIM to, while Mechanical/Sheet Metal
    in Ultimate is usually not that important ....

For V23 there is a dedicated Civil workspace where you will find all the Civil Tools. If you wish to use the Civil abd BIM tools at the same time, we encourage you to use the Complete workspace.
    You can find this in the Modern layout (see Interface settings)
  • Thanks Rose.

Didn't know the "Complete" Workspace. Nice.

Unfortunately it also contains two Mechanical Ribbon Tabs which
    do not work with my BIM License and somehow crowd my GUI.
    So better trying to add the Civil Tab to my BIM workspace.
    (If UI customization ever possible on Mac. Usually it crashes.
    Even switching workspaces is sketchy on Mac an requires closing
    files or restart, to bring all docked palettes back after switching.)

I would prefer Civil Tab also included in BIM Ribbon.
    But I am already happy that I got a 2D Drafting Tab with V23 :)
  • Tom Foster
    edited March 2023
    I'd expect regular users to make their own custom 'complete' workspace with eveything they regulaly use minus commands they habitually do by typing. Or perhaps that's only easy if it's not a 'complete' ribbon, but just a 'complete' set of toolbars.
  • Sorry, but can someone elaborate on how they got their Point Cloud Tab back on the Ribbon as the response "Type Ribbon" isn't very helpful!
  • I tried to add Civil Tab to my BIM Workspace Ribbon but was not able to do so.
    Maybe I just did not get how to properly do so,
    but for me it looks like the Ribbon isn't as easy editable as standard
    Toolboxes ....

What Workspace do you use ?
    Would it come back when you switch to another workspace ?
  • Just_Me
    edited March 2023
    I have contacted support as it is totally unacceptable that such a huge feature that is one of the if not "the" reason one would pick Pro version just disappears without any info how to get it back.
  • Just_Me
    edited March 2023
    For context i thought I should point out I am referring to using the 2D Draughting workspace that I always did my 2D plans and elevation from Point Clouds in and that had the Point Cloud Tab & Functionality in it. I thought I would take a quick look at the 3D modelling workspace and the Point Cloud Tab then appears!
    Have they now removed the ability to use Point Clouds in 2D Draughting !? If so Why? If not how do I get it back in 2D Draughting!
  • I think a lot of latest UI Updates are based on submitted usage stats.
    I think, this way, overall, Ribbon made huuuuge improvements.

But there came also some questionable decisions e.g. in Menus,
    like limiting the number of possible Export options and even only allowing
    to choose one of these 4 options from a sub menu
    (why limiting Menu entries at all !?)
    While it works for Imports as expected. A click on top level Import will open
    File Open Dialog, after selecting options, it will offer all supported file formats.
    (But why can't it remember "Options" being activated for the next import ?)

So, at least here on Mac, the only way to reach FBX Export is by putting
    text in that ancient status bar input, called Command Line.
    Well, could be even more tedious requiring some LISP or DIESEL.

On the other hand, we now got the Icon for Datasmith Export and Synch
    directly in the Ribbon on Mac too.
    Pity that this hardly needed feature is still not available on Mac.
  • Just_Me said:

Have they now removed the ability to use Point Clouds in 2D Draughting !?

AFAIK point clouds have never been visible in Visualstyle 2Dwireframe (the 'native', pure vectors, highest precision style), only in the other styles, which are 'rendered', lower precision . Tho I notice that a new Visualstyle has appeared - 3Dwireframe, what's this? - both still different from Wireframe, which is a rendered style.

• Well after a quick rant it seems that you have to use the Civils Workspace to get the Point Cloud tab. That's fine but I really wish they didn't remove it from other workspaces in doing so. I was happy knocking out 2D floorplan, Sections & Elevations in 2D Draughting mode. looks like I'll be buying Cloudworx anyway now but still annoying.
  • As I said above, surely the provided Workspaces are just a start - not difficult to create your own with everything you need in one place - so don't let the above omissions etc put you off. Now I literally never use any of the standard Wiorkspaces.
  • We've created some partial menus (cui) for BricsCAD that you can load to make the Point Cloud & Civil Tools available across any workspace.

Civil Tools Menu
    Point Cloud Tools Menu

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V23 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts
  • Thanks for all the feedback on this post. Just want to let you know that we are listening.
    Just_Me said:

Sorry, but can someone elaborate on how they got their Point Cloud Tab back on the Ribbon as the response "Type Ribbon" isn't very helpful!

Please see attachment. I hope this video helps you understand how to add a tab to a workspace.

I think a lot of latest UI Updates are based on submitted usage stats.
    I think, this way, overall, Ribbon made huuuuge improvements.

But there came also some questionable decisions e.g. in Menus,
    like limiting the number of possible Export options and even only allowing
    to choose one of these 4 options from a sub menu

I encourage you to download the latest version of BricsCAD and accept the CUI override when prompted. There are now more options in the file menu, fix starting from BricsCAD V23.2.
  • Hello Rose,

thanks, that was a good assumption.
    Although I started early V23s without migrating any V22 Settings,
    my CUI was corrupt again already.

I always use the latest Bricscad version and always accept any CUI override after
    updating or upgrading. But I also use all Betas available before the final release.
    Maybe something went under the radar this way.
    Basically (as it won't work well on Mac) I avoid and have no CUI Customizations
    at all, beside opening or closing a few BIM Panels, reordering the Tabs and maybe
    open a few Bricscad Tool Boxes.
    (But about 50 custom set "Settings" that I do not want to lose)

For me it is hard to understand where all these different Settings and Customizations
    stored, which files to hide to make Bricscad building new default ones at start and
    all such things.

I found a Manage your Customizations in Customization.
    Beside tons of Modified (moved/relocated) items it also had tons of red flagged "Removed"
    items, including the Export FBX.
    WTH, it doesn't make any sense that I could ever have "customized" these by myself !?

I chose the revert to defaults option and it looks better now.
    FBX is in Menu and in Ribbon's Export Tab again, Menu File Import has a general "Import"
    that shows all import file options in File Open Window again.
  • Hello Rose,

(But about 50 custom set "Settings" that I do not want to lose)

For me it is hard to understand where all these different Settings and Customizations
    stored, which files to hide to make Bricscad building new default ones at start and
    all such things.

You can save all your settings with a profile. Type PROFILEMANAGER. A dialog will pop up that will allow you to create, save, import and manage profiles = No Settings lost.

I found a Manage your Customizations in Customization.
    Beside tons of Modified (moved/relocated) items it also had tons of red flagged "Removed"
    items, including the Export FBX.
    WTH, it doesn't make any sense that I could ever have "customized" these by myself !?

A customization simply means a variation from the current default cui, it doesn't specifically mean you made the change. In this instance, the CUI file was updated between versions and so was flagged as a "customization".
    Even things like moving a panel can count as a "customization".

I chose the revert to defaults option and it looks better now.
    FBX is in Menu and in Ribbon's Export Tab again, Menu File Import has a general "Import"
    that shows all import file options in File Open Window again.

Happy your issues have been resolved!

• You can save all your settings with a profile. Type PROFILEMANAGER. A dialog will pop up that will allow you to create, save, import and manage profiles = No Settings lost.

Thanks, didn't know that.
    Did so.
  • I'm now using Cloudworx Basic for my PointCloud needs. Works great and in any workspace.