Add Constraint to hole Center

Hey Expert
I'm new to Bricscad Mechanical, while I have been usign other MCAD 3D software for long time. I need to create holes on a parametric slider, and need to add constraints to the center of holes to the edge, it's frustrating that I couldn't figure out after a few hours .

By the way, since the top face of the slider is a cylindrical surface, it's hardly to position a hole feature on a non-planar face, I have to model a box, place holes, then create a cylinder body, and intersect two bodies.

It's a such simple part and should be very easy to model it in any 3D MCAD tools.

Comments

• Hello Liu_Bruce,

Bricscad has the option to constrain on its origin planes (XY, YZ and XZ).
    If you combine that with the "parametric Holes" from the library it becomes relativaly easy to do.
    If I can find a spare half hour to day I will build you an example model.

With kind regards,
    Robert
  • Thanks, Robert.
    I found the way you mentioned to constraint the parametric hole's center from the library, you need to select the Block option, then choose the Axis of the hole, that's helpful. It's still painful to position the hole on the cylinder face. I'm eager to know more best practices on modeling, one lesson I learned you must array hole features before you add constraint to the first hole, you can learn nothing from the essential training, it's a pity.
  • Yeah, the training material for mechanical material is lacking.

On that array, you don't need to constrain the first object, you can constrain the array itself.
    The array is just a block itself, so you can just use the select block option to constrain the origin of the array.
  • I need parameters to drive the position of the holes as well, it's hardly to meet the need via setting block origin.

Is it possible to perforate multiple components by one hole features? Currently, I have to create hole features on each component, how could I keep them associative?
    Robert said:

On that array, you don't need to constrain the first object, you can constrain the array itself.
    The array is just a block itself, so you can just use the select block option to constrain the origin of the array.

• To my knowlegde this is not possible while in an assembly.
  • Robert said:

To my knowlegde this is not possible while in an assembly.

Oops, it's so sad. Please correct me if I'm wrong, there is no way to link array parameters to custom parameters, so I can't manage arrays cross mutliple components.

Bolt connections is the most common way for mechanical design, it's a really productivity killer without avaliable workflow to support it.
  • Hello Bruce,

It's not comfortable to model. I have attached a file where I have tried to find a solution. The solution is not the best, but maybe it could help find a workaround.
  • obas211 said:

Hello Bruce,

It's not comfortable to model. I have attached a file where I have tried to find a solution. The solution is not the best, but maybe it could help find a workaround.

Much appreciated, obas211. I went through your model, if I understand correctly, you use the XY plane to position holes, that's smart. It's intuitive to use work plane to facilitate modeling in most MCAD tools.

UCS is hardly to use, DUCS doesn't work in this case, we can only to hope Bricsys to hear customer voices. You should consider how to make the product suitable for mechanical design. Btw, don't forget assembly level hole features, it's killing me to place holes on multiple components, just repeat tedious work without modeling pleasure.