Backwards compatibility V25?

Trying to weigh the pros/cons of getting perpetual or subscription. If buying V25, at what version will it no longer be able to open drawings? Probably going with the "lite" version as it will only be used for simple editing and printing the drawings.

Comments

• I have that problem with Vectorworks.

(You can't open VW files from older versions than about 5 years back,
    you can't export to older versions similar amount. You would need
    some older VW versions installed in between to do a full conversion.
    But that would need a machine with an older compatible operation
    system. Which may run you into license/activation issues …..
    And it won't be that lossless/100% compatible anyway)

Please correct me if I am wrong,

but I thought a recent Bricscad Version would be able to open any DWG,
    even the oldest file version and vice versa, would be able to save/export
    a current DWG to any older outdated DWG version …..

• In addition look at this article about drawing format compatibility in BricsCAD, it containts full list of supported old formats: https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/bricscad/getting-started-with-bricscad/working-in-bricscad/drawing-file-format-compatibility-in-bricscad?version=V24&id=165079145382

It mentiones BricsCAD V24, but it's the same for V25.

• Ok, I didn't word my question correctly. If I buy V25 at what "new" version will it no longer be able to open drawings? I'm not talking about being able edit and etc. just open the drawing for printing purposes.

Think we had a case where our old V15 version wouldn't open a V23 drawing at all. Thanks for the link though that's helpful too.

• What version are you saving to? DWG format seems to be changed by Autodesk every 3 years or so. Regardless of the software you will not be able to open a drawing that is in a format that did not exist when the program was released. I have SaveFormat set to DWG 2013 because I have clients with older versions of Autocad who can't open newer versions of the DWG format.

To answer your specific question: No one knows. It is reasonable to assume that Autodesk will change the DWG format in the future, but only they know when that will happen. When Autodesk changes the format older versions of CAD programs will not be able to load files saved in the newer format.

• Thanks.
    Wanted to write exactly the same but did not find the words.

The only other issue may be all the Bricscad features Bricscad presses
    into the DWG file format, like the BIM stuff.

E.g. at one time came some advanced IFC Tags. When using these there popped
    up a warning that these would be lost when opening in a previous Bricscad version.
    Also Windows and Doors got more setting options or new object types arrived.

So it may not be a lossless experience when opening newer Bricscad Files in an
    older DWG version in a much older Bricscad version.

The Geometry may stay, maybe even the unsupported feature data may be kept
    but likely a new V25 Column may no more be a healthy V25 Column after its
    geometry was manipulated in a V14.
    Not sure if there is a warning about such loss if you try to save/export a fully
    V25 featured file to a very old DWG version.

as it will only be used for simple editing and printing the drawings.

I think such cases would be not very problematic
    (I am not much experienced with 2D publishing though)
    if such a new Bricscad File is available for the target Bricscad version in
    an older DWG version that the target version already supports.

• Saving to default: acad 2018. Current plan is to just keep Brics up to date but you never know.