bricscad V8 very slow working with 9 Mb 2D files

I have a problem with 9 Mb 2D files on a P4 3.2Ghz with 2Gb ram, Nvidia 256Mb video card under windows 2000, on XP with P4 3.4Ghz HT, 2Gb ram and same video card, is the same.I tested it with USB Hdd, and ATA133 system Hdd and is the same too.The problem is that some 2D files with a lot of blocks and layers with about 9 Mb size, where very slow to work on; after a very deep purge the only things that remains are 1 block and 5 layers (so it should be 200 to 300 Kb), the size of the file is the same, and working on it is too slow.I'm going to buy V9, but after installing the trial version it act on such "big" files like V8 version.What i can do?RegardsMattia

Comments

• Hello Mattia,could you please file a support request and attach the drawing so we can investigate possible bottlenecks?Kind regards

• I have a routine called Killdots.lsp (courtesy of a John F. Uhden, CADvantage), which is said to "delete all single-vertex polylines, zero-length lines/polylines, and text with nothing but spaces from a drawing". Occasionally it finds a few in a file and they seem to run better, but in some recent batches of Acad files from others it finds literally thousands reducing a typical file from about 11Mb to 4Mb. That helps a lot, although certain operations such as switching between PS views and MS are quite slow.

• Dear John,I'm interested in this routine, should you send it to me?Thanks in advanceBest RegardsMattia

• Hello,Thanks for filing a support request with the file attached. The file contains 480477 MTEXT entities, of which 480474 have an empty content. If I delete these, the performance is OK.You can do this as well with V9: On the properties bar, on the right of the combo box that displays the type and number of entities currently selected (or the text "No Selection"), there is a button that switches the properties bar to "QuickSelect" mode. Click on the button, but please be patient, in this file it takes a while before it is ready. (we will add a wait cursor in an upcoming release...).Now the combo box shows everything in the drawing. Select the Mtexts, and again please wait until the control is fully redrawn. Now click the '*' sign next to the field labeled "Contents", and choose '=' from the drop down menu. Now you are ready to select all Mtext entities which have a contents that is equal to the empty string. To do this, click one of the buttons just under the check box labeled "Apply to current selection set" on top of the properties bar. ('add to current selection set' or 'add to new selection set', which both do the same when there is no current selection set). Now wait (this takes a while, processing all 480477 mtexts) until the properties bar is completely redrawn, displaying the properties of these mtexts. (the color box has to be green). Now the current selection set contains the empty Mtexts. Press the "delete" button or type "erase" and they're gone.

• By the way, don't try to do this on Autocad 2008. It will crash.

• Another way of getting rid of those mysterious empty Mtexts:1. Zoom All2. Ctrl-A (or pull down Edit > Select All)3. Hold down the Shift key and do a window or crossing selection of the whole screen.4. DeleteStep 3 de-selects everything except the empty Mtexts and any insertion of the block "ADCADD_ZZ". They always get included in the Select All command, but never in a mouse selection window.This method works in v8, which doesn't have that QuickSelect bar.

• How does a drawing gets nearly half a million of empty text strings accidentally?I have had some rather simple files in the past that I could never figure out why they where slow, however, in several cases by creating a new file and doing a copy paste the problem got corrected, now that I read this post I get the feeling that this empty text strings might be the root of the problem but I have no idea on how do this entities get created so that I might find a way to stop generating them

• http://www.freecadapps.com/swdetails.php?page=category&value=ACG-MSC&orgvalue=ACG&review=2991&rowcolor=ffffccMattia, since killdots is not one of mine perhaps I should not pass it on directly, but it is still easy to find with Google. The above link should work, clicking on "killdots.lsp" opens it in a Notepad type of format from where you can cut and paste into a new file you create.I am curious if the empty texts (and perhaps the other non-entities) only come from Acad or do they also originate in Icad?

• It is a bit unlikely that someone created these Mtext entities manually. Working 8 hours a day, at 5 seconds a piece, it would take 4 working months. And it might get slightly boring after a few weeks... Further, AutoCAD nor Bricscad have a history of spontaneously creating a few thousand Mtext entities from time to time. So, to create drawings containing such amounts of entities, one needs help from an add-on program: a script, a LISP, or COM, or SDS/ADS, or ARX program...Maybe ask the creator of the drawing if any add-ons have been used to create it?

• I have seen this before, it’s likely, the problem stems from repeated pasting of DWGs, or blocks (and exploding) ,that have a few of the bad entities

This discussion has been closed.