Bricscad Linux - To Platinum or Not to Platinum

Hello Bricsys people,

I gotta ask.  Will this happen one day and how soon?  The Linux world will be happy to see what their Windows counterparts are enjoying.  Ease our pain.

Comments

• Would you care to elaborate a bit more so we can join in ?

Naturally we all want a comparable Bricscad for Linux, that enjoys the features of Bricscad for Windows. It will be interesting to see how the developers address this. Has anyone had the opportunity to use the Windows version ? Allready we have a massive imbalance of Applications for Bricscad on Windows and very little for Linux. Soon the .Net API will be available. Correct my if I am wrong - but does this mean an additional surge of Windows applications ?

• Good day @devs,

Sorry, Im with Linux.

I have all the company on UBUNTU, No antivirus. All PC are Foxconn A3500 and i330 (dual and quad core, 2&4gb ram)(24watt), http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Barebones/NT-A3500/index.html , The telephone PBX and Router is a FRITZBOX (Linux) with IPv6 (5Watt), my Fileserver is an OpenWRT with NFS4.(4Watt+extHD)
    Beside that, all +55% employes have Android.

I cant install Windows. By no means. No way. Can't go back.

Soon or later ARM will replace X86 (I think in less than 2 years), Nvidia Tegra250 is an example, The new Tegra comes this christmas with 5x more power. I have my Tegra250 (dualcore) Overclocked at 1.5ghz and run awesome. Think in nettops with ARM are very near. More near than you can imagine. There is no competition in the frontline for 3D CAD in Linux.

What do you expect of a slow platform like Windows ?

Its just about time. Like Linux/Android. Took only 2 years to shift Nokia&Rim&MsMobile to bankrupcy. What we could expect from Acer, Foxconn, HP, ... if they shift to ARM dualcore 2ghz next year ?

tic... tac.. tic...

By the way, I was learning with a good book of http://www.upfrontezine.com/eBooks/default.htm#Bricscad.
    However I'm stuck at the end, I want to continue learning, Im excited with 3D and cant learn in Linux. Pretty sad.

My best wishes to all the developers who made this awesome app in Linux and my best wishes to continue improving the Linux version.

PS: Imagine if you can sell the BRICSCAD in LIVECD ?!! No need to install, just burn and run.
    Thats much better than autocad, GB and GB of infecting with unoptimized framework .NET the PC.

• mm.. I wish to edit my upper post, Just an errata:
    ARM will not replace X86. I wish to say that "will grow a lot", but not replace. Replace is much far and maybe untrue.

Beside that, Intel have ARM licence. (StrongARM). They stop producing arm to push as much as possible X86 and his profits.

ps: Is near the 3D version for Linux?

• Guillermo,

I think you got something wrong here - the platinum version of Bricscad just adds parametrics and mechanical libraries, the professional version (available for Linux) already contains ACIS modelling and also has the ability to create 2d drawings from these models (solprof command recently added). Although I consider the program still to be mainly a 2d CAD system, the 3d part works and nothing should stop you from diving into it. An old AutoCAD book will do as a companion - Bricscad currently has most of the 3d-functionality found in AutoCAD 2000 (there is no rendering integrated yet, but anyway importing the model into blender or similar will get you further).

• Knut,

you're right, but on these days parametric modeling (and the addons of Platinum) are a must for quick 3d drawing.

Libraries and render are not so important, IMHO, but the advanced 3d editing options of platinum are an

huge advantage for designers.

Max

• Max,

of course I'm also looking forward to check out platinum once it will be available for Linux, but I'm not getting overexcited from what I heard about it (sounds like AutoSolids found a new home...), and if this is a must remains to be seen. Let's not forget that this is an add-on that is limited to extended entity data and is likely to have some rough edges therefore. There is 3d-software that doesn't feature this kind of CSG functionality but is very en vogue  nevertheless (Rhino).

As to the mechanical libs, they come in handy, but are not very memory-efficient (identical objects will not share a common definition in the drawing, like blocks do), and seem to lack the possibility to add own components.

True CSG to me would rather mean having booleans as entities (although a broader approach like modifiers as found e.g. in blender might be more elegant), and true parametrics should be applicable to any object and offer unlimited freedom to build 'intelligence' by defining objects (partly) in LISP (roughly what Graphisoft offers with GDL) ... but this would probably need the dwg format to be jettisoned and thus will never happen.

There are numerous other things that I currently miss in Bricscad when it comes to 3d, but that would get off topic...

• I just want to address the uncertainty but can't give details: We are working on a Platinum version of Bricscad for LINUX with really powerful 3D features. Timing: Q4 And there is more to come. So stay tuned

Best regards,   erik

• Hi Erik,

Awesome news. You keep me so happy. :)

Have a good weekend
    Best regards.-

• Erik,

that one is really a good new :-)

You'll have a new customer for sure when it'll be out !

Ciao

Max

• great to hear we'll get the Platinum on linux.

right now i have a mix of liciences, but would like nothing better than to be 100% Linux

fwiw, Debian stable & testing.

• Gentlemen,

It feels good to be testrunning a beta of Bricscad Platinum.  Its really happening. 

• great to hear we'll get the Platinum on linux.

right now i have a mix of liciences, but would like nothing better than to be 100% Linux

fwiw, Debian stable & testing.

Dear Keith:
    I'm up to buy Bricscad for Linux.
    Does it work reasonabily good?
    I tried to install it in Debian but couldn't.
    Do I have to install another distro?
    Thanks in advance.

Alejandro.
  • It runs smoothly on Fedora 18 which is the current release.  I have also tested it on Fedora-19 (beta) though I had to tweak a bit.  I'd say, its okay on Linux once you have a reasonable graphics card.
  •  Run perfect in Lubuntu with the right _proprietary_ VGA drivers.

So, let me add this:

:)

• Reading all posts, there is at least some experience with BricsCAD and Linux. CAD keeps me multibooting and away from Linux. I've posted a question two days ago and really would like it if some of you could share information: What is right now the best hardware solution to run BricsCAD for Linux? So far an attempt with AMD Fusion failed due to screencarbage when drawing ('dragmode off' solves this but it is hard to work that way).

Please share your experience at: https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/20577. It will help others too.

This discussion has been closed.