A Flawless System with Linux...

Considering today’s Debian based Linux systems can be a better alternative than Windows 8, support for professional CAD under Linux is essential.

However I see a lot of people in trouble running BricsCAD under Linux, including myself.

So I thought of a different approach: build the best possible machine in a normal price class and document it properly in order to help ourselves and others. How about that? Today I discussed this with my colleagues and we agreed to build a testing system. Needless to say any input is very welcome!

Proposal:
  • Mini-ITX mainboard with z77 chipset like ASRock Z77E-ITX
  • Ivy Bridge CPU like Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed with Intel HD Graphics 4000
I have no clue whether this is supported well but general support under Linux is good with an opensource driver. See  https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2013/2013q1-intel-graphics-stack-release. Is this properly supported for 3D with Dual screen support? Another reason for this choice is the fact that performance has improved great lately and that everything is on the mainboard so compact building is possible.

Again: input is very welcome!

Comments

• If you've built it, then try it.  Your experience might be useful to others. 

I currently run Bricscad on a laptop with Intel Graphics (i965 or so) and I can live with the performance.  Your mileage should increase with Cards from nVidia.  I haven't tested it on my new AMD HD6xxx graphic cards (actually dated gears but they were cheap).  Personally, I wouldn't do pro stuff on a desktop with on-board graphics ... might as well get a laptop.
  • Interesting idea.
    You should really confirm that the Intel HD graphics 4000 chip will work with Redsdk 3D hardware acceleration on Linux. If not, it is a bit pointless to put together a benchmark system that can not use some of the most important functionality in BricsCAD.

Why not use AMD A10 6700 if you want a small form factor system. It is energy efficient with TDP of 65W and will give you about the same CPU performance as a recent Intel i3, but much better graphics performance with the proprietary AMD drivers. I use AMD Radeon HD graphics with BricsCAD myself and is pleased with the performance.
  • Happy to see some light points. In fact I use systems for educating people based on AMD Fusion and I am pleased with performance. In fact I run Ubuntu 64 with VirtualBox Windows 7 and AutoCAD educational virtualized and even than performance is still reasonable. Unfortunately BricsCAD (Linux version) leaves screen garbage while dragging during commands like line and move. Definite a driver related problem but also a showstopper so far.

So I am very curious how to solve this, Mikael can you tell me more about that? I used AMD's proprietary driver unsuccessfully so far.

The form factor is a personal thing: I ruined three laptops in 8 weeks because of transport - I travel a lot with all that educational stuff. That is why I looked for an alternative and chose the hard way: descent stuff as small as possible, light weight and strong. The result is a kind of DIY solution based on aluminum plate 2mm, smaller than A4 and 70mm height. Fun to work with and so far this pile of machines outperform every previous laptop solution. An extra card is not an option at this stage so integrated graphics is a must unless it really does not work.
    imagewxs.jpg
  • There are many laptops on the maket that are more robust, and they can be dropped, spilled water on etc, like Dell XFR for example. I think that this would be the best idea if you need a durable computer.
  • I have encountered what you describe as screen garbage (multiple tracks on the screen from objects and the mouse pointer). I solved it by changing the GL swap mode in BricsCAD.

In the menus, go to: Settings/Settings/Program options/Display/GL Swap Mode

I use "Call glCopyPixels to copy back to front, don't call glXSwapBuffers." with good results.

I understand that you want a solid case. I used to have laptops before, but has left them for mITX and mATX builds. Price/performance ratio, quality and life cycle (thanks to exchangable components) is unbeatable with a non-laptop system. And another good thing; You do not have to buy them with an unwanted and half-crippled version of windoze (like the home versions).

The M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure is a nice mITX chassis.
  • For what it's worth, I know the following all run BricsCAD Platinum 13.1.19 for Linux on Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit using only integrated GPU's.

None have been used particularly hard, but none of these builds have required terminal tweaks of the drivers to run CAD.  The two desktop builds were specifically designed to be low power consumption integrated GPU Linux OS only builds. All run beautifully.

Desktop Intel i7-3770 with ASUS P8Z77-i-deluxe mini itx board (with Display Port) HD4000 GPU and 27" 2560x1440 screen 120 w power supply
    Desktop AMD A10 with A85 chipset FM2 board (with Display Port) AMD6??? Fusion GPU and 27" 2560x1440 screen
    Laptop Samsung new series 9 Ultrabook with i5-3317 CPU HD4000 GPU 1600x9000 screen
    Laptop ASUS UX31A Ultrabook with i7-33?? CPU HD4000 GPU 1920x1080 screen
This discussion has been closed.