Seeking reocmmendaiton for 3D Piping add-on

2»

Comments

• About the use of the _INTERFERE command:
    You can use this command to check the interference within a set of solids by selecting the same solids for the first and the second set. But you then have to interpret the numerical results.

Example (BricsCAD V14.2.17):
    [code]: INTERFERE
    Select first set of Acis objects:
    Opposite Corner:
    Entities in set: 3
    Select first set of Acis objects:
    Select second set of Acis objects: p
    Entities in set: 3
    Select second set of Acis objects:
    Create interference solids? Yes/<No>: n
    Comparing 3 solids against 3 solids.
    Interfering pairs: 7
    Highlight pairs of interfering solids? Yes/<No>: n[/code]

The command reports 7 interferences. Because every object has been checked against itself you have to subtract 3 (the number elements in the set). This gives you 4 pairs. But of course every pair has been counted twice by the command. So the actual number of interferences is 2.

It would be possible to create Lisp code for this purpose (using the CheckInterference method).
  • Hi Joe,

perhaps this may be of use?
    https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/19215

I wrote it to simulate the SWEEP command using EXTRUDE. SWEEP wasn't available in BricsCAD at the time. It will sweep multiple profiles along multiple paths. Doesn't delete the profile or path. BricsCAD is very fast at doing this. I think deleting the old pipe, then creating a new one would be quicker and easier than trying to edit.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts
  •  Mr. Gebbinck, I imagine the code would simply recognize the solids that are selected,and then iterate each pair, creating a solid if they interfere. If there is interference.

-Joe
  • A thread from the dead...

Just wanted to bring this back up. There's a 3D piping symbols library to try in the applications catalog. Uses U.S. standards...

https://www.bricsys.com/applications/a/?3d-piping-symbols-library-v1.0-a1080-al1900

• Hi Joe,

Did you find anything suitable?
    I had a similar issue a while back and created my own custom menu with a range of fittings/flanges etc and just insert the 3D files to create the iso
    Hope the picture attaches ok

SteveN

• In my case, the actual area for the piping runs cover 200 SqFt or more. So, a realistic view would not have helped, because things are too small at that scale. I ended up just drawing 2D polylines with both width and thickness to represent the piping when I wanted to show the runs in the 3D (simplified) version of the building. To obtain the pipe run distances, I also drew a 3D polyline on the same path, if the whole pipe was not in a plane. Then I added a leader with a field showing the pline's length.

My isometric schematics were created by using a library of isometric 2D blocks that I downloaded from some source. (Probably from www.cadforum.cz)

There were some paid solutions under $300 USD, that I looked at. The cost was not an issue at that price point. But, at that price point, you don't get automatic routing, and I didn't need the details that those programs offer. We don't even use that great a number of different types of fittings. So, they just weren't worth the effort to learn and set-up in our particular situation.

-Joe

• Joe, looking at Mech-Q now. Downloaded but did not install the demo. I am interested in the Structural.
    What was your final verdict for Mech-Q?

On the collision issue could you extrude the pipe paths & subtract to see if any entities were created?

• Sorry, but I just don't recall. It was too long ago.,

-Joe

• What are you using now?

• One of the fellas at TheSwamp.org was creating a routine for piping.
    Not sure if he finished it or not. Piping is not my thing.

• Joe Dunfee
    edited October 2017

@Charles Alan Butler said:
    What are you using now?

I am not 100% certain the question was directed at me. But, I simply ended up using native BricsCAD objects for the piping runs to show the piping on the building. Though, in that case, I don't show the fittings. For the isometric schematic, I used a block library I found on the 'net.

-Joe

• Thanks Joe, yes you were the target. :)

This discussion has been closed.