printing V15

Hi, Im having problems in V15 pritning files that have been saved with a to me unexistent printer. In some files its possible to go to page setup and change printer but for some reason its impossible in some other files. NOW I have posted a support request and the problem is there. The ploblem now is that Im told it will not be fixed until V16 . Unfortunately this makes it impossible to move my users to V15 wich I was in the process of doing. In my world I will not move production to V16 for some time.

Anyone else having this issue ??

Patrik

Comments

• Have you perhaps received details from Bricsys as to what specifically triggers the problem?
    Can you post a problem dwg?
  • This is the answer I got.

This is known issue. PRINT command fails to start with "Invalid index" message if previously used pc3 file refers to unavailable printer. The problem can be observed in BricsCAD v15.1.02 and all subsequent versions.

• That is a serious problem, and it is wrong for BricsCAD to require users to upgrade to v16 to get it fixed.

Bricsys, please reconsider your position on this.

-Joe
  • The code below may help. It is assumed that .pc3 files pointing to missing devices are not in the plotcfgpath.
    Note that you can also use (entmod) to change a layout.
    [code](defun c:ResetPc3 ( / lytsObj lytObj)
      (setq lytsObj (vla-get-layouts (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))))
      (foreach lyt (cons "Model" (layoutlist))
        (setq lytObj (vla-item lytsObj lyt))
        (if (not (findfile (strcat (getvar 'plotcfgpath) (vla-get-configname lytObj))))
          (vla-put-configname lytObj "None") ; "None" can be replaced by other .pc3 file.
        )
        ; (entget (vlax-vla-object->ename lytObj)) ; Entmod can also be used.
      )
      (princ)
    )[/code]
  • This issue has been raised before:
    http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/25589

To me, the issue is mainly with the vague error message. It isn't immediately obvious as to what the error relates to. Once you've identified the issue there are some quite simple workarounds available.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

• I have not figured out when and why and its random I think. Today I browsed through lots of drawing with missing printers and I could change all of them through page setup. I will attach one as soon as I run into one again. Now I open them in V13 and change printer and I´m fine.

• Try changing printer with V15 in this file !

plottest.dwg

• Try changing printer with V15 in this file !

Has anyone found a way around this issue, I tried Lisp routine above and followed the thread (also above) but to no avail. I updated my PDFExchange printer and deleted the old .pc3 file and now any paperspace drawing that refers to this just gives the "invalid index" message. I dug out an old version 14 and managed to get the print dialogue up so that could change the .pc3 and then saved and exited, but this is long winded.
  • The issue related to this thread was fixed in a V15 update. I would check that you are using the most recent version.  Should be V15.3.05

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

• Yes its an almost fix as you can now create NEW pages with a correct printer. The old ones will then inherit the new printers. and you can work around it. At least your not stuck.

• The issue related to this thread was fixed in a V15 update. I would check that you are using the most recent version.  Should be V15.3.05

Hi Jason, I am using V15.3.05. I double checked and it is the same as the one on the Bricsys site. Patrik - what do you mean make a NEW page with the correct printer?

Regards....
  • This is no more a critical issue but more annoying.  If I try to print a drawing saved with a to me non existing printer I get a warning and have to back out and go to file / pagesetup and then choose a new printer.Have just been told by support that this is how its supposed to be for compatibility reasons.

So what, well we are 8 people here and use slightly different printers and setups. I also get about 10 drawings / day ( at least ) from external sources with different printers  Before when I hit the print-preview I would get the settingsmenu without a printer FINE. Just change it and print. Very nice but the way it works now SIGH. My question is am I the only one with an issue ???

• Since I am the only CAD guy at my company, this is not normally an issue for me.  If there isn't one already, I am sure a LISP routine can be created to change all the layouts to use the same printer, but change nothing else on the page set-up.

Also, I seem to recall, there is some action that triggers a "Do you want to apply this to all layout tabs". But, i don't recall what it takes to trigger it.  I am also confused somewhat by the saved page set-ups.  If you use the actual "page set-up" window by right-clicking a layout tab, and then choosing "Page Set-up", on the window that opens the page set-up pop-up is not available.  Though, it does show the name of the page set-up if one is chosen.

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.