Several forum issues

Joe Dunfee
edited February 2017 in Other

Thanks for the effort to improve the forum, but there are a lot of issues.
It would be good to get a "What's new and different" description to help us get over the learning curve.

I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't post. Apparently, to be able to see the button to start a new discussion, you must be at the top of the forum, and not inside one of the sub-categories.

In the thread
https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/32490/copying-objects-with-tangent-constraints#latest
I post several issues with uploading files. The biggest issue is that DWGs are not permitted as an attachment.

I see you permit "markdown" in messages, but this is not a firm standard. Rather than link to a Wikipedia article, you should provide a link to see a text file you created describing which of the markdown features you support and some brief instructions in how to use them. Or alternatively, link to an off-site page that provides this for the specific version of markdown you support.

I was about to post about my forum issues in the support area, but I could not log onto your main page to get to support.

-Joe

Comments

• Tom Foster
    edited February 2017

Good to have a thread commenting on the new forum

Overall, I say thanks a million.

Wonderful to be able to Edit, for a start.
    The 'just for an hour' rule is relevant to an opinion-based forum, to prevent people re-writing history in order to look good or score debating points - but in a well behaved technical forum it may be good to allow editing forever, for accuracy or clarity, rather than having to follow chains of 'corrections' via later posts.
    Someone may point out a vital typo for example and it's good to reply 'thanks - I went back and edited that, for avoidance of future confusion'. For example, very successful http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk works invaluably like that.

I should like to be able to have Discussions rather than Categories as my default view, when entering the forum via https://forum.bricsys.com.
    Yes I know I can make https://forum.bricsys.com/discussions into a Bookmark and enter via that.

In Discussions, I would love to have 'Most recent' or the time stamp in each Discussion as a live link leading straight to the most recent post, rather than having to scroll down from the top.
    Would be great to have the same in Categories - the most recent post in all the Discussions in that Category.
    Activity is too cumbersome to be useful in this respect.

Within each post, it's great to be able to R click its time stamp and then Copy Link Location, for when referring to that very post.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited February 2017

There is no real need to read the Wiki page. The MarkDown formatting can be added by using the buttons above the text area.

The one thing I have stumbled over is numbered lists. There has to be a blank line directly above the list. It is not inserted automatically when you click the button.

@Joe:
    About your log-in problem:
    You still have to use your 'old' password for the rest of the Bricsys site.

• Another thing:
    It seems that quite a few old topics have been put in the wrong forum category. Of the last 5 discussions I have started, 4 have been assigned the wrong category.

But on the whole I am of course very happy with the new forum. Good work!

• @Joe Dunfee We have enabled .dwg upload.
    @Roy Klein Gebbinck We could change the category of active topics. Could you please identify them?

• I am going to post a huge issue here:
    Every single Google Search link, or every old forum link whatsoever, to briscad questions in this forum is invalid!
    Since most of the help information comes from this forum nobody (who googles sth about bricscad) can find the posts anymore.

Example:
    https://www.bricsys.com/common/support/forumthread.jsp?id=15204

A problem like this shouldnt be existing when migrating a forum in 2017.

I cant search anything anymore...
    Please fix that asap.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited February 2017

@Sander Scheiris said:
    @Roy Klein Gebbinck We could change the category of active topics. Could you please identify them?

I'll check the last 10 discussions started by me and send in an SR. Thanks.

• BTW:
    Clarifying some of the categories may help users who want to start a new discussion and make searching the forum more efficient.
    Example: It would be nice if general Direct Modeling problems are discussed in the 3D Modeling category instead of spread out over several categories (BIM, Mechanical and Sheet Metal). And it is not obvious where 3D constraints issues should be discussed.

• The search function does not work at all.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited February 2017

@benjamin schlanz said:
    The search function does not work at all.

My test shows the search function does work. It would help if you are more specific.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck : You are right, i am partially wrong.
    The search does give results, but the questions is which ones.

for example: This is a phrase that can be found in one of the posts here: "Look at your linetype definition to see"
    If i type it like that in search (with "") i get to the result. If i dont he suggests wholly different stuff.

Or; There are numerous posts in this forum about "make linetype shx". if i type this into the search the answers he provides are topics with the word "make".

Somehow i think he only searches for the first word or just one word after another instead of the whole string?

• Noticed that you can't upload LISP files (.lsp), or slides (.sld). It would be useful if all the file types utilised by BricsCAD were allowed. Workaround is to zip disallowed files, then attach.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• @Joe Dunfee said:
    I see you permit "markdown" in messages, but this is not a firm standard. Rather than link to a Wikipedia article, you should provide a link to see a text file you created describing which of the markdown features you support and some brief instructions in how to use them. Or alternatively, link to an off-site page that provides this for the specific version of markdown you support.

I found this Markdown Cheatsheet useful. It provides some details on posting code with syntax highlighting.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• May there is an possibility to generate an Footer at the Profile, so that always the Sining at the end of the Posting is shown and widn't write it again under every posting

• @Martin Drese said:
    May there is an possibility to generate an Footer at the Profile, so that always the Sining at the end of the Posting is shown and widn't write it again under every posting

And the ability for people to detail which BricsCAD version they are using in their profile. It is confusing when people post about issues, and you can't repeat because you are using a different version.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• Code is still not formatting properly.
    ================example 1 should start after the line below =================
    First, there seems to be an unwritten rule that you must leave a blank line before your code.
    'Variables
    Public acadApp As AcadApplication

Sub SendToCmdPrmpt()

Set acadApp = GetObject(, "BricscadApp.AcadApplication") 'Get a running instance of the class AutoCAD.Application
    acadApp.ActiveDocument.Utility.Prompt "Hello from Excel!" 'Print a message to the AutoCAD® command line

End Sub

================example 1 finish=================

There also seems to be an issue with coloring VBA comments green beyond the comment.

================example 2 start =================

'Variables   
    Public acadApp As AcadApplication

Sub SendToCmdPrmpt()

Set acadApp = GetObject(, "BricscadApp.AcadApplication") 'Get a running instance of the class AutoCAD.Application
           acadApp.ActiveDocument.Utility.Prompt "Hello from Excel!" 'Print a message to the AutoCAD® command line

End Sub

================example 2 finish=================
    -Joe

• I noticed that the method used to indicate code is to put the apostrophe to indicate the start of the code. Since VBA comments are also indicated by a apostrophe, I can see how VBA may interfere with the markdown codes.

-Joe

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited March 2017

The Markdown for code is the ` character (grave accent) not the apostrophe. The problem seems to be that an attempt is made to recognize the programming language and apply syntax highlighting.

• @Sander Scheiris said:
    @Jason Bourhill Added LSP and SLD

can't upload .dwt, .scr, .dcl, .lin, .shp, .shx, .pgp, .dst, .xml, .pc3, .ctb, .stb, .cui, cuix, .mnu, mns, .mnl, .des, .btc, .rx, .brx, .cst, .fmp, .pat, .unt, .mln, .ini, .csv, .cpp, .h

• Wie wärs mit eine "deutsche Ecke"? :)

How about a German section?

Ab und an habe ich Lust.

• I just created a test drawing template file, and then zipped it. The last time I tried to put on a Zip file, it was of a simple Text file, but I thought it would be best to test using a Zip file on a file type that is known to be a problem.

Note that while it seems to attach file, when I tried to remove it, the small menu that pops down does not fully show. It will not display enough of that menu to be able to choose the delete (or remove) option.... well at least I suspect it is there. I can't actually see it to know.

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.