Batch editing drawings

First of all, I am pleasantly surprised that BricsCAD 14 processes way over 1000 drawings per hour in a slow computing environment and when corrupted drawings were removed, 30.000 start-process-close cycles did not result in any crash. I thought it might be helpful to others to write the experience down on http://wiki.nedcad.nl/Bulk_Editing_Drawings.

However, I have a question. What is a smart approach to further decrease start-up times? As far as I know, headless - like with AutoCAD - is not an option, so a start without GUI elements seems the next step. Is it as simple as stripping default.cui? With a /p and /l switch? Ideas welcome?

Comments

• Apart from using a .bat file there are at least two other ways to control a batch process in BricsCAD: you can use a script or rely on Lisp code only.

Using a script file (.scr) for the batch process is probably the most common approach. It should be much faster than using a .bat file. My BKG_Batch application uses this method.

BricsCAD also has the unique feature that Lisp code can start in one drawing and continue in the next. This makes it possible to handle a batch process without a temporary .bat or .scr file. This method, most likely the fastest of the three, is however not 100% reliable when dealing with big drawings and time-consuming processes.

• Roy, a few days ago I tried it with one big script and fed BricsCAD 10 000+ files. It stalled after 10. So I reduced the set to 2 500 and then 900. Still stalling. So I gave up that path.

Curious after your post, I just tested 400 files this way and it did not stall indeed. So I gave the system 6GB more RAM and tried it with 1 000 files but it stalled again.

I guess it is save to say that using a script is okay for a maximum of a few hundred files. If one needs to process more, a batch file is the way to go. 10 000 in one night sleep is not bad in that case ;-)

It was also tempting to split the drawings and start multiple batch files simultaneously. I assigned four CPU cores and added batch files. With two batch files, speed almost doubled and process is stable. With three or four batch processes, things go south. Still just a bit more than one second per drawing.

• I do not experience those restrictions using a script. Even on an old (>10 yrs) underpowered (512MB RAM) machine I have no issue processing a large (2000) set of drawings using a script. Mind you the script is only used to open the drawings, load one or more Lisp files (which take care of all the rest), and save the drawings.

• You triggered me to not give up... Summary: It works! At least for a few thousand drawings tested so far.

First BricsCAD seemed crashed, "BricsCAD not responding", but it turned out a lot was done in the background without updating the screen anymore. Sometimes a crash, sometimes not. About the things that went wrong:

At last, the following construction was used, an example of a script line:

._open "drawingname.dwg" (acad-push-dbmod) (load "todo.lsp") todo.lsp (acad-pop-dbmod) ._close

Turns out (acad-pop-dbmod) was buggy in v14, v16 but works in v17, just in time (and thanks developers!)

I think that is the main reason it did no go as planned. About dbmod, if 0 no save queries are triggered. To be complete and as test for command line:

._QSAVE < sets DBMOD to 0
    (getvar "dbmod") < returns thus 0
    (acad-push-dbmod) < returns always T and stores DBMOD value for (acad-pop-dbmod)
    (getvar "dbmod") < nothing changed, still 0
    (command "._circle" "0,0" "1" "._erase" "_l" "") < drawing changed, DBMOD changed
    (getvar "dbmod") < Now value 1
    (acad-pop-dbmod) < returns T, but more important, turns DBMOD to stored value 0 as done by (acad-push-dbmod)
    (getvar "dbmod") < returns 0 in v17 and not 0 in v16 and prior
    ._CLOSE < Should not ask for "Save changes" and works fine in v17. Returns unexpected pop ups in v16 and prior.

• @Wiebe van der Worp:
    Again I cannot confirm the issue you report. Your scenario works just fine in V14 and V16. Maybe you have an application installed that is causing the unexpected behavior you are seeing.

• Dear Wiebe, Dear Roy,

maybe this here explains & helps ...

Up to & incl. V16, when a drawing contains fields, and those fields were initially evaluated/updated by opening the dwg (FIELDEVAL), then the drawing was "modified" with DBMOD > 0 ...
    this was fixed with V17, field evaluation during load-time does no longer set DBMOD > 0, so it might explain the difference.

But Roy is correct as well - it is not a safe logic to always expect that the drawing remains unchanged, during your own processing ...
    too many possibilities, that some (other) code hooks in, and causes DBMOD > 0.

for Wiebe :
    here is a way to bypass that difference - you can use this in your script file :
    (if (> (getvar "DBMOD") 0) (command "_close" "_no") (command "_close"))

or
    (command "_close")
    (if (> (getvar "DBMOD") 0) (command "_no"))

this should work fine on all versions ...
    many greetings !

• Thanks for the clarification Torsten.

Another way to close without saving:
    (vla-close (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)) :vlax-false)

• Roy, Torsten, appreciate your time and efforts, thanks.
    I've updated the text. And did put a link to Roy's solution in there because of its ease of use.

This discussion has been closed.