Multi-Threading Flags

Hi,
On Settings there is Multi-Threading Flags setting so If I set some of those Flags Will them boost the BricsCAD system performance? Or should I have to leave them unchecked?

Regards,

Vicente López G.
Mexico City

Comments

• If you don't get an answer through the forum, submit a support request. That will go directly to Bricsys technical staff.

• @VicenteLG said:
    On Settings there is Multi-Threading Flags setting so If I set some of those Flags Will them boost the BricsCAD system performance? Or should I have to leave them unchecked?

If you have a multi-core CPU (most of us do), then turning multi-threading on will allow BricsCAD to split tasks across multiple cores to process them in parallel. If you expand the option, you will see the events that this can be applied to is self explanatory, such as open drawings, regeneration & redrawing.

Users that are working with large drawing files, work in 3D, or using BIM are the most likely to benefit from turning MTFLAGS on.

If you're running 3rd party applications, it would pay to check they are compatible with MTFLAGS being on.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• So the reason why MTF is not ON by default are potential problems
    with 3rd party Apps only ?

• Not all processors are multi-thread.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

And these articles and the conclusion might be interesting reading:

https://blog.bricsys.com/cpus-for-cad/

https://blog.bricsys.com/choosing-bricscad-hardware/

**Conclusion: ** if you want BricsCAD hardware that runs really fast, get a CPU with the highest Single Thread Performance number possible. Next, set up a fast SSD as your primary disk drive. With today’s low, low hardware costs, it’s easy to build a screaming machine to run BricsCAD!

• @Michael Mayer said:
    So the reason why MTF is not ON by default are potential problems
    with 3rd party Apps only ?

Could be, Bricsys would want BricsCAD to have the maximum compatibility for all users. Remember it is only for a few specific tasks that MTFLAGS can provide benefit. Most of the time, BricsCAD is single threaded only.

If you're looking for performance gains, then you are probably best to consider other things. there are a few stories on the blog that discus this
    https://blog.bricsys.com/choosing-bricscad-hardware/

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• Isn't it at least 10-15 years that you could buy the last single core CPUs.
    And even if some may still rely on such machines,
    wouldn't Bricscad recognize that there aren't any extra cores or hyperthreading
    to share instructions to ?

Opposed to rendering, lots of CAD work or modeling is hard to split, if at all.
    So normally, if there is anything possible to accelerate by multithreading
    it is a GREAT feature and marketing jumps on it (Archicad). Or uses complain
    when/why not (Vectorworks).

So I wonder why in Bricscad it is OFF by default, deeply hidden in Settings
    or Help and not mentioned anywhere but a single (external ?) Blog entry.
    Stability ? Just forgotten ? ....

I mean multithreaded 3D Apps for Rendering often also have a quite
    hidden switch - but to limit core usage in multithreading,
    in case you may need some cores for something else.

• I am aware of the hardware specs.
    But as I do still lot of CPU Rendering, I need many Cores and ECC RAM.
    So I have to go the slower XEON or even Threadripper route and give up
    some single core power opposed to the fastest i9.

I am aware that for most users a fast single core speed i5 may be a better
    choice than many cores, but my experience for many single threaded only
    CAD tasks is that these often aren't optimized at all and have other bottlenecks.
    So throwing the double amount of single core speed will give you far from
    double acceleration anyway.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!