Open options dialog to specific system var item?

I want to make a help program for acad users to find items in the bcad options dialog.
I'm using .net API.
Anyone done that?

Comments

• I mean "anyone know how to open options to a specific variable item"?
    I assume I'm the first to do a help tool like that, but then again I swim in a micro pool :)

• You can run the SETTINGSSEARCH command, and specify the exact name of the setting as the search term.

• James,
    Your creation sounds VERY useful, particularly for us old Acad hands trying to migrate over to BricsCAD.
    Been using BricsCAD for 2 months now & still stumbling around a bit because of the need for what you are creating, a go-between Help Support for Acad-to-BricsCAD, for the experienced Acad users, because the devil is in the subtle differences.
    Most of my problems are w/ getting Acad lisp routines to work in BricsCAD, because of those subtle differences in Settings/Options. That's the problem w/ 25 yrs. doing Acad & now something close but not quite the same, like taking out a hard return in a Lisp routine to make it work (devil in the subtle differences).
    Would a list of the 939 SetVars help? Created an Excel file listing all of the SetVars & settings, because it is hard to find them in Options or Settings, & changing it in Options or Settings isn’t enough, sometimes the SetVar needs to be changed & included in the following file:
    C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V18 en_US\Support\ on_doc_load.lsp
    Example:
    load "Acettest.des")
    (setvar "INSUNITS" 1)
    (princ)
    Let me know if you would like the Excel file, if you haven’t already created one.
    My frustration level has been extreme @ times knowing the answer will be simple (& it always is simple), just not knowing where to go to get it.
    Support is only marginally helpful because they rely too much on reading from a list of questions / answers & do not know the software.
    There should be a separate support group for handling us experienced CAD hands, as we are the ones that will spread the word about BricsCAD to the other CAD users & convince them to migrate over to BricsCAD because we found it so much better in every way. In reality, the help is no better, & sometimes I feel it is worse than Acad.
    There are times I just open AutoCAD (kept a couple seats just in case) & “get it done” just because I am tired of beating my head against the wall in BricsCAD, & I know I can get it done in Acad in a second.
    Hopefully it will get to the point of not needing AutoCAD one day, but that day is not here yet because of these migration issues that go unexplained &/or unstated.
    What Bricsys needs is someone that would be dedicated to solving these Acad-to-BricsCAD migration issues; documentation & help support that documents & explains the slight differences between Acad & BricsCAD. Then we would see BricsCAD take off w/ a vengeance.
    Mike

• This has been a good resource but need a BC version.
    http://www.hyperpics.com/system_variables/

• Owen Wengerd
    edited August 2018

There is nothing better than "BricsCAD for AutoCAD users" by Ralph Grabowski. It includes a complete list of system variables (among many other things). Read it here:
    https://www.bricsys.com/en-us/documentation/

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!