Point cloud feature failing on rather small data sets

I took my 35 million point .laz and converted to .las, then to .bpt and attached to a dwg.
Problems:
1) The conversion to .bpt took 20 minutes. I know the command line said 1 minuter per million points, and I got better than that, but fundamentally its too slow.
For comparison, the adesk ReCap takes about 4 minutes or less to do their indexing of this size point cloud. (not that I like reCap, but trimble business center is much faster so I think there is hope on that)
2) I got slow zooming performance with the rather common 35 mil point set. Each phantom 4 drone flight I do is a 30 mil set of points after processing. This data is from 3 SX-10 scanner runs.
I am on a fast dell laptop with nvidia Quadro M400M vid card, and 64 gig ram. Its fairly high end for engineering, though not Darth Vader "impressive" jedi level.
Lets just say I get really fast stable behavior with autocad on these, so tend to expect bcad to be also.
3) I got a crash when osnapping to a node of the pt cloud.
The good part was the osnapping worked perfect for a few tries, unlike in autocad where the snap finds points away from the cursor, never under.
The osnapping is critical to civil engineers, as we can make tools to get elevations from the pt cloud rather than build a TIN surface.

I know the feature is new, so will work with Bricsys as needed to resolve these items.
thanks

Comments

• Very good to see expert comment about pointcloud on the forum.

You've got a SX10 laser scanner on a humble Phantom 4? I thought they cd only do photos, for photogrammetry.

• Dear James,

Since our resources are limited, our priority goes to question in support requests... Could you therefore consider to create a support request for this? In addition, could you also in that support request share the troublesome dataset so we could reproduce the trouble you experience and thus address them properly?

Many thanks in your collaboration to help us make BricsCAD better every day ;-)

• I have a 22 mil pointcloud data set I'm working on to prove out whether we can use BricsCAD with Pointclouds. So far performance and display is terrible. I don't mind so much the time it takes to pre-process even if it is too slow, but the display is terrible. Testing LP360 for preprocessing pointclouds and their display engine automatically displays fewer points when zoomed out and as you zoom in it increases the point density which makes it very easy to discern shapes and figures up close. BricsCAD zoom into point cloud is horrible. Can see a set of stairs when zoomed out, but zoom in and you can't even discern it. I incresed the max points displayed, it didn't improve at all really, but the display engine can't handle displaying millions of points efficiently. Too slow to use.

Also, you can't even display the RGB point value. You know why you use that $15,000 3D position corrected/time synched camera data to make the point clould look almost like a picture. No dice. You can't get BricsCAD to display the RGB data from the LAS file. Also, I found no way to make it show a color gradient based on elevation. It asked you to pick Red, Green, or Blue.

It is completely useable for simply a ground surface, but to work on shapes that the points clearly depict if displayed properly is just awful.

I'm going to go back to V18 and try a 3rd party product. Very disappointing.