Uses for new TIN surface feature

I just got the chance to go through the TIN surface, and other civil tools in V20 Platinum+.
I created a tin surface of 1.5 million tris in a few seconds, so the underlying engine is good.
The boundaries work well so looks like you could build surfaces and do volumes quite well.

I don't see tools for contour creation and labeling. It has landxml out though so you could pull into other progs.
I'll have to see if there is a .net API for the objects so I can interact with them.

The alignments feature seems fairly rudimentary currently. Its likely good for viewing cross sections.
The PVI placement is purely picks, not ability to enter stations or elevations by typing numbers.
The bricsys team is getting it right though, as their "3D Alignment" is the combination of a true horizontal and vertical alignment.
I'm glad they adopted the name I gave my tool for that, like someone naming their kid after yours :)

The deform and smooth surface features are interesting ideas, but did not modify my surfaces for some reason.
I'm not worried about those. The underlying hard stuff seems in order - surface engine and containers for horizontal and vertical alignments.
Hopefully this will grow into a civil3d replacement but would like to hear if teams were involved in its development and what situations were targeted with current features.
thx

Comments