Eccentric cone workflow recommendations

This one is pretty weird. It's an eccentric cone with reinforcement pads/rings welded on. What I'm needing help with is figuring out the best/fastest workflow for adding the pads to the cone.

How I did it:

Align UCS with blue reference line. This was tough, had to use the "za" option under UCS command. Is there a better option?
Flip UCS so "x" is aligned with blue line.
Draw a 18" od circle per new UCS at a arbitrary location along the blue line. Move it out per Z direction away from cone.
Extrude circle with limit option to cone surface.
Freeze cone layer.
Use thicken command on "backside" of circle extrusion per 3/16" thickness.
Delete circle extrusion.
Create another extrusion to make hole in center of pad.

Pretty lengthy process I must say, is there a better way? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• James Maeding
    edited October 2020

admin, please move comments from the dupe post to here and remove the other one.
    These dupe posts are not great...

• Roy,

Our fab shop is not what you would call modern and uses "blacksmith" methods in lieu of CNC and etc.
    We would burn the pad out of plate at 18" OD then use a press brake for an approximate bend. Then
    they make extensive use of a sledge hammer to "fine tune" the fit.

I was just interested in how some of you would approach the project. I don't do 3D much, maybe once
    a week a need arises if that so it's hard to get in a groove so to speak. Please, feel free to take the model
    attached and run with it if time allows. That being said this is indeed an "open" invitation.