BIM civil

Hi
I am working on a haul road design project. I have setup a terrain model (2,400,000 points) and my road alignment. Is there anyway to set up a coordinate system for positions along the alignment string, i.e. stations or chainages? It would also be helpful to be able to set up a table of alignment setting out.
Cheers
Brian

Comments

• @Brian Marshall
    I am a civil but am not familiar with what you are saying.
    Sounds like you want to set up stationing, then cut sections?
    You need to describe that more.
    BTW, 2.4 million points will make a huge surface. I try to get to around 500k tris when using various software including my own for things like this.
    So watch out for trying new processes on large datasets. I don't know the bcad civil stuff well yet though.

• Cross sections would be useful, however I would like to be able to output a geometry table of the horizontal alignment, i.e. Station/chainage, Easting, Northing, Radius.
    The project is over a large area. The survey data is LIDAR which of course means lots of points.

• James Maeding
    edited October 2020

oh,we call that cogo information.
    In Civil3D, that is a report. I'd like to hear from Bricsys on their roadmap of covering the things programs like civil3d can do.
    I don't think they have a built in command for reports yet, nor an API to allow you to program one.
    All civils I know that use Bricscad use an add-on, such as from Civil Survey Solutions. You may already know that, just saying.
    I guessed the data was lidar or drone, but part of the trick is getting that to a low triangle count TIN surface. A common and horrible way to do that is use 1/20th of the points to make a surface. A better way is at least average 20 points to 1, in elevation, and build from that.
    The best is to have a program make a bunch of small surfaces, simplify them down using a tool that minimizes surface change, then add them back together. I won't mention whose tools do that, as you cannot buy them currently :)

• Thanks James. A report file is what I am after. Most of my experience is with 12d Model and Bentley InRoads, which use the same terminology.