DRAWORDERBYLAYER and xref layers

Vaclav Cermak
edited November 2020 in 2D Drafting

Hello, I have tried to add xref layers into .lst file used by DRAWORDERLYLAYER command and it does not work. Tried to add entries in form 'Layer' 'Xref-name|Layer' and '*|Layer', nothing helps. How this is supposed to work?

EDIT> It works for drawing layers, my question is only about layers from xref

Comments

• I have never heard of 'DRAWORDERLYLAYER'. But to change the draworder of an xref you would have to open the file and change the file itself.

• It's probably new in V21. At least I don't have that command in V20.

I know about draworder, but it a bit pain in ass. You must constantly take care about it. And you can't, for example, put one layer from xref to the bottom and another one on the top. Microstation has layer (and entity) priorities for that, but I don't know anything similar in AutoCAD like world. DRAWORDERLYLAYER looks promising, but it seems not to work with layers from xref.

• There is a typo in the forum post. The command is DRAWORDERBYLAYER. looks like it has been around since at least V18.

For xrefs I assume you would likely have to open each and run the command there.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V21 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck is correct, its only for layers in the dwg, not xref.
    Something to note - acad has long had a bug where draworder in an xref was not respected.
    You had to wblock items out, and back in to get to top, in that file.
    Then, when you xref the file, the draworder works.