Open stops bringing up a window. Same with add ref

For some reason after a while Open and Xref add convert to command line only. I have to close the program and re-open. Any solution to this?

Thanks,
Russell

Comments

• please check + set FILEDIA=1 ... maybe some (3rd party ?) tool switch to FILEDIA=0 ?

• also cmddia to 1

• Did both and still after a while I lose windows from Plot and open from command line. Print brings up a window from command line...It seems like a bug.

• ok, that "after a while" statement is important. If you can try to notice when it switches, that is key.
    Also, when it does, can you report values of cmddia and filedia?
    It is also possible something is redefining the plot and open command to like -plot. Try typing .PLOT and .OPEN to see if those behave.
    thanks

• Ok I will try and report back. I checked my lisp and there is only the initial setting of cmddia and filedia to 1.

• Still stops working after a while. Both settings are still 1. I have to close the program and re-open.

• James Maeding
    edited November 2020

@betazero
    you did not report on if .OPEN and .PLOT make any difference.
    I actually have seen the same issue as you, but never ran it down so am interested in seeing what develops.

• .open still goes command line. I changed my lisp for plt to use printer which seems to never fail.

• I've seen this issue over many BricsCAD releases. Even though BricsCAD reports FILEDIA=1, it acts as if FILEDIA=0. It's as if the BricsCAD SETTING gets out of synch with the actual state. A re-start of BricsCAD fixes. The exact cause is hard to track down as it is only when you use OPEN that you realise something is awry. From my experience it most frequently occurs when migrating LISP across to BricsCAD from AutoCAD. I believe it most frequently occurs when repeatedly running a LISP routine involving command calls and using Esc (cancel) to end (this actually generates an error), coupled with subsequent UNDO calls.

If you're using LISP, which it looks like you are, then I would check:

• Any functions that utilise command calls to see that the syntax is correct.
    • Any functions that make SETVAR calls. Ideally functions that need to change settings, capture the existing first, then reset after, even if an error is struck.
    • Your error handler, or if you're not using one consider adding one.
    • Consider wrapping functions with command calls with undo marks, particularly ones that make several command calls.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V21 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• Ok I will take a look. I had some lisp routines which were misbehaving and I got some help on the forum to fix them. I have not seen the no window thing in a bit so maybe the one thing fix the other like you suggested.

Thanks,
    Russell