image generator (i.e., plot to jpg, tiff, etc.)

We are attempting to move away from AutoCAD and we have been looking for a routine that plots to raster files and allows you to set varying pixels widths and heights. We appreciate the PDF export, and can make a raster file from that, but it is an extra step.

Many thanks,
John
Kroll Map Company

Comments

• I use PDF Creator, which acts just like a printer, but can print to pdf, jpg, png and tiff in one step. I think it can print rasterised pdf also (not sure). In fact at my workplace I have pdf creator set as the default printer then I print from pdf to a physical printer if a print is needed. This actually works way better than trying to print straight to paper. Be warned though, PDF Creator will try to install PDF Architect at the same time, but you can delete that after if you don't want it. Also the free version of PDF Creator has adds.
  • ALANH
    edited May 2022
    I am trying to remember about setting pixels but can plot to TIFF, JPG, PNG direct from Autocad. Not sure if can copy the pc3's from Autocad and use with Bricscad. I know with TIFF we made a tiff.ctb the line thickness thicker if I remember correct as it was based on 200dpi.

I tried copying pc3 jpg but got error message. may need to do some form of configure 1st.
  • Thank you both, probably my best option is to print to Acrobat Professional, then I can "save as other," to various raster file formats, and then select from a range of dpi options. I was hoping to skip this step, but this software still offers compelling reasons to leave AutoCAD behind.
  • Still trying to find a better solution than printing to PDF and then generating an image from the PDF (which I then end up import back into a PDF). I like having a high resolution image embedded in a PDF rather than a vector PDF since I can better manage the size of the PDF, and it is often easier for our clients to print on the other end (some intense vector PDFs are too slow). I am still looking for a good solution as an add-on, so if you see anything please let me know. Something that would resemble the ACAD JPEG printer would be ideal.
  • In https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/37501/2d-background-image-created-from-point-cloud#latest , related discussion. Request to improve PrintToPDF to print to choice of formats, with graduated choice of quality. PdfCreator does the latter only crudely, despite suggestions it's the answer.
  • Thanks for the answer. I will need to switch back to AutoCAD to do this, since it allows for precise settings in terms of pixel height and width.
  • Just a simple follow up to my earlier, posted need, about high resolution image generation from BricsCAD. Our needs as a mapping company are quite specialized and the output from strait PDFs just doesn't meet our needs. AutoCAD, which we have used for decades, has a great "JPEG Printer" that allows you to set image width and height in pixels. It is critical to what we do, and I would be happy to explain why, but I can say that I need to keep going back to AutoCAD, and ultimately, I may need to leave BricsCAD behind, since this tasks gets used daily. I had high hopes I would never need AutoCAD again, but that probably won't be the case. I also use Acrobat Professional, which allows you to output images from PDFs, but you only have set intervals, and not the control mentioned above. If this feature appears as an add-on in the future, please let me know at jloacker@krollmap.com and I will be very pleased.

John
  • ALANH
    edited September 2022
    If you can get a Windows printer that does raster output JPG etc maybe it will work in Bricscad.

Do a support request they may recommend a product there are a few out there under the UNIVESRSAL PRINTER DRIVER. But need to be downloaded.
  • I appreciate that Alanh. We also have a software that will take the plt files and covert it to more common raster formats. This is a better option of us than the PDF output, however I will definitely request a universal printer driver and see if that works.
    Many thanks,
    John
  • Tom Foster
    edited September 2022
    In my existing Feature Request SR139383, started 7.4.22, I just added:
    "A new comment in forum.bricsys.com/discussion/37558/image-generator-i-e-plot-to-jpg-tiff-etc#latest {that's this discussion} - I hope the the issue described there is being tracked by developers in support of my original feature request in this SR. In the above forum post, he's talking about a Brics equivalent to Acad's JPEGOUT; Brics already has a PNGOUT but it's very poor. My suggestion/request is to integrate both into Brics Print to pdf, with high adjustability of resolution, compression etc for all the formats (not dumbed-down like pdfCreator); to solve the color degradation; and to 'read' the source file direct, not to simply reproduce the on-screen image in all its pixelation."
  • Just another plug for a JPEG image generator (where you can set pixel height and width, as in ACAD). Our needs are probably unique, but we use GIS polylines often, and when we deliver PDFs to our clients, often times the polyline processing of the PDFs is too slow on their printers. Supplying a high resolution JPEG, embedded in a PDF, is the best solution for them (additionally it provides better protection for our copyrighted content).

The only reason I go back to our AutoCAD is the JPEG printer. Other than BricsCAD gets an A+ for stability, features, and cost.

John Loacker
  • Tom Foster
    edited March 2023
    Have you put in a Service Request, to add weight to mine and maybe others?
  • Tom - thanks for you interest in matter. It is understandable that this is not high on the list for others, but without this feature in BrisCAD I am forced to go back to ACAD. Could you by chance provide the link for service requests - I would be happy to submit. Your responses are greatly appreciated.
  • Log into your account on the website, then click Learn & Support>Contact Support>choose your category
  • Thanks Tom, I appreciate your guidance.

John
  • Hi John,

I did some testing printing hi-resolution images with BricsCAD and IMHO got pretty good results. Attach some print examples that you can download.

Best results came from playing with the built-in Print as PDF printer.
    PDF print, OmahaBeach-Titles-A1-1200dpi (120MB)

Having generated the PDF it is possible to export it to an image using another application.
    PDF print -> Export to Jpg, OmahaBeach-Titles-A1-1200dpi (93MB)

As mentioned by others, there are printing tools such as PDFcreator that would allow you to print direct to image. However, I found the quality wasn't as good as the one I could extract from the PDF.
    PDF Creator print to jpg, OmahaBeach-Titles-A1-1200dpi (60MB)

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V23 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited March 2023
    jloacker said:

.... I like having a high resolution image embedded in a PDF rather than a vector PDF ....

Do you know about the Output quality settings in Print As PDF > Plotter Configuration Editor > Settings > Custom Properties? You can select Image output DPI independently of Vector output DPI, and whether to use compression in the output of images.

But I don't think it allows converting vector graphics to bitmap, if that's the key to what you're trying to do. Have you tried Raster Image Printer by PeerNet?
  • Have you tried Neevia's docuPrinter Pro? It will print direct from Bricscad to TIFF, JPG, and PNG and has the ability to set horizontal and vertical resolution.
  • I will try these asap. I use acrobat pro, but output to jpeg is in sort dpi increments.
    Thank you all for your time and interest.
    John
  • I experimented a little with "Vector output DPI." That term suggests that vector graphics will be converted to raster graphics in the output. I asked Bricscad Support about it. Their first answer was yes, everything is converted to raster, and "Vector output DPI" controls the resolution. But in my experiments, I see no difference in the output for DPI settings from 150 to 2400. Even at 150, I see no pixelation in the output from any vector graphics. The screenshot attached below is from a PDF print-out of an image of a map with a leader and a solid-filled polygon drawn over it. The image was higher resolution in the DWG file, but I had set "Image output DPI" to 150 also.

• Hello Anthony,
    I just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful response to my post. It appears as though "Raster Image Printer" by Peernet will take care of our needs. This is great find, and I believe I can not fully depart from my AutoCAD. Like everyone else we have some unique needs, and in this case a JPEG, embedded in a PDF is highly preferable to a straight vector PDF for reasons of protecting our content, controlling file size of the PDF, and ease of printing for our clients.

Best regards,
    John
  • apologies for the grammar/spelling - I can "now" as opposed to "not." I was just excited that we finally found a solution! Many thanks.